Hard integration problem (calc 2)

In summary, the conversation involves trying to find the integral of x^3e^x^2 / (x^2 + 1)^2 dx and the attempts made by the person to solve it using different methods. They eventually try u-substitution and integration by parts but are not sure if they have the correct solution.
Azi
I've been going at this problem for at least 3 hours :cry:

Just need to find the integral for:

INTEGRAL(x^3e^x^2) / (x^2 + 1)^2 dxI've tried all kinds of different methods, filling up at 4 pages in my notebook! I think this is the closest I've gotten :confused:

First I broke up the numerator so that it's: x^2xe^x^2
Attempting to solve with u-substitution

u = x^2 + 1
x^2 = u - 1
du = 2xdx
1/2du = xdx

1/2INTEGRAL((u-1)e^(u-1)) / (u^2) du

And I don't know what to do from here, I don't feel like I'm on the right track. If anyone has a tip it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try letting u = x2; that way you don't have to work with (u - 1)eu - 1 and you get euu.

Hmm yeah that probably is the best choice, I tried it earlier but am still hitting a wall

u = x^2
du = 2xdx
1/2du = xdx

1/2INTEGRAL (Ue^U) / (U+1)^2 dU

Can that be integrated? I've always been so bad at knowing when I can do something and when I can't, it kills me on tests.

Looks like your only option now is integration by parts, seems like no other kinds of substitutions would help. You only have a few things to try with u, eu, and 1/(u + 1)2, shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks! I think I may have gotten it, not 100% sure though, got class soon so i'll find out then. Thanks again

1. What is the hard integration problem?

The hard integration problem, also known as the difficult integration problem, is a term used in calculus to describe integrals that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques. These integrals often involve complicated functions or expressions that require advanced methods to evaluate.

2. What makes an integral difficult to solve?

There are a few factors that can make an integral difficult to solve. These can include the complexity of the function, the presence of trigonometric or logarithmic terms, and the limits of integration being non-numeric values.

3. How can I approach a hard integration problem?

There are a few strategies that can be used to tackle a difficult integration problem. These include using integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It may also be helpful to simplify the function by using algebraic manipulations before attempting to integrate.

4. Are there any tips for solving hard integration problems?

One helpful tip for solving difficult integrals is to always check for any patterns or similarities to known integrals. This can help guide your approach and make the problem easier to solve. It is also important to carefully check your work and use multiple methods to verify your solution.

5. Is there any software or tools that can help with hard integration problems?

Yes, there are many online integral calculators and software that can assist with solving difficult integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration rather than solely relying on these tools. Additionally, some integration problems may require manual solving due to their complexity.