Finding Online Handbook for Reactants Properties

• Thread starter asfd
  • Start date
In summary, the reactants are: Dichloromethane, MgSO4, Caffeine, water, and NaOH. The boiling points, molar weights, melting points, and solubilities in water and ethanol are all available on websites.
asfd
I have a lab report due tomorrow morning and I need to put some infos about the reactants (is this the correct english word?) we used. More precisely, I need to know their boiling point, molar weight, melting point, solubility in water (and ethanol if possible), density of liquids. The reactants I am talking about are Dichloromethane, [tex]MgSO_4[/tex], Caffeine( [tex]C_{8}H_{10}N_{4}O_{2}[/tex] ), water and NaOH. If somebody could post a link (on a good website) where I could find those informations or just write them from a handbook with the reference it would be very cool. For now I found all the info I need about the caffeine on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine and http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudrea/molecules/caffeine/caffeine.htm but I can't find the properties of other reactants.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dichloromethane

Molar Weight : 85 g/mol
Appearance: colourless liquid
Melting point: -97 C
Boiling point: 40 C
Water solubility: slight

MgSO4

Appearance: colourless odourless crystals or white powder
Molar Weight: 120.36 g/mol
Solubility: Very soluble in water. Not in ethanol.
Melting Point: 1124C (2055F)
Boiling Point: Not applicable.

Water

MP : 0 C
BP : 100 C
Molar Weight : 18 g/mol
Solubility : Immiscible with ethanol

NaOH

Appearance: White, deliquescent pellets or flakes.
Molar Weight: 40.00 g/mol
Boiling Point: 1390C (2534F)
Melting Point: 318C (604F)
Solubility: 111 g/100 g of water.

Usually Googling with "sodium hydroxide msds" or "dichloromethane msds", etc works pretty well.
MSDS stands for materials safety data sheet.

Thanks for the tip! Paper handbook are so outdated...

I found that : "Water Solubility is infinite in alcohols (ethanol, methanol), but negligible in gasoline." here: http://www.greenfuels.org/ethanolterms.html
But you wrote it's imiscible in water so I'm a little confused...

I also guess the infos in the MSDS are taken at 0°C ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I think MSDS is the most reliable information after scientific ones. If you have a library connection, please refer to Combined Chemical Dictionary, a.k.a. ChemNetBase. The information you'll find there will be the best ones.

Regards,
chem_tr

asfd said:
I found that : "Water Solubility is infinite in alcohols (ethanol, methanol), but negligible in gasoline."

Oopps ! Yes, I meant "miscible".

Unless otherwise stated, data provided are taken at 0 deg C and 1 atm pressure.

1. What is the purpose of finding an online handbook for reactant properties?

The purpose of finding an online handbook for reactant properties is to have a reliable and easily accessible resource for information on the properties of different reactants. This can be useful for scientists conducting experiments or researching new chemical reactions.

2. How do I determine which online handbook is the most reliable for reactant properties?

The best way to determine the reliability of an online handbook for reactant properties is to look at the source of the information. Make sure the handbook is from a reputable scientific organization or publisher. You can also check for citations and references to ensure the information is backed by research.

3. Are there any free online handbooks for reactant properties?

Yes, there are free online handbooks for reactant properties available. Some reputable sources include government websites, scientific organizations, and educational institutions. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the reliability of these free resources before using them for research purposes.

4. Can I find information on all types of reactants in an online handbook?

Most online handbooks for reactant properties will have information on a wide variety of reactants, but it is possible that some may focus on specific types of reactions or compounds. It is important to check the table of contents or index to determine if the specific reactant you are looking for is included in the handbook.

5. How frequently are online handbooks for reactant properties updated?

The frequency of updates for online handbooks for reactant properties can vary depending on the source. Some may be updated annually, while others may have more frequent updates. It is important to check the publication date of the handbook to ensure the information is current and relevant.