Solving High Voltage Problems: Circuit Diagrams & Current Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a person who accidentally touches the terminals of a 20 kV power supply with a body resistance of 10 kohms. They are discussing how to calculate the current through the person's body and the power dissipated in their body. The conversation also mentions increasing the power supply's internal resistance to make it safer, and suggests using Ohm's Law to solve the problem. The person being asked for help requests that the other person provide their solution so they can better understand the problem.
alonzo
Please help me wif these problems! I have no idea.
A person with a body resistance between his hands of 10 kohms accidently grasps the terminals of a 20 kV power supply.
(a) Draw a circuit diagram including all the data.
(b) If the internal resistance of the power supply is 2000 ohmns, what is the current through his body?
(c) What is the power dissapated in his body?
(d) If the power supply is to be made safe by increasing its internal resistance, what should the internal resistance be for the maximum current in this situation to be 1.00 mA or less?

Thanks 4 ur help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alonzo

All your questions can be answered if you do part (a) correctly. You haven't included your solution here. First, please do so, so that we know where you're going wrong/facing difficulty.

First off, I'd say you have a power supply (a power source--a seat of emf in this case), a <few> resistance(s) in the circuit.

1. What is the expression for current in a circuit containing a seat of emf V and resistance R?
2. What is the expression for the power?
(Hint: Think about Ohm's Law)
3. What is your specific problem with this?

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited:

(a) The circuit diagram would consist of the 20 kV power supply connected in series with the person's body resistance of 10 kohms and the internal resistance of 2000 ohms. The power supply would have a positive terminal connected to the person's hand and a negative terminal connected to the other hand.
(b) To calculate the current through his body, we can use Ohm's Law: I = V/R. Plugging in the values, we get I = (20,000 V)/(10,000 ohms + 2000 ohms) = 1.67 mA.
(c) The power dissipated in his body can be calculated using the formula P = I^2*R, where I is the current and R is the resistance. Plugging in the values, we get P = (0.00167 A)^2 * 10,000 ohms = 0.0278 watts.
(d) To make the power supply safe by reducing the current to 1.00 mA, the internal resistance should be equal to or greater than (20,000 V)/(0.001 A) = 20,000,000 ohms. So, the internal resistance should be at least 20,000,000 ohms to ensure the maximum current through the person's body is 1.00 mA or less.

1. What is high voltage and why is it a problem?

High voltage refers to the amount of electrical potential energy in a circuit. It is a problem because it can cause damage to equipment and pose a safety hazard to individuals.

2. How do I read and interpret a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. The symbols used in the diagram represent different components such as resistors, capacitors, and voltage sources. To interpret the diagram, you must understand the meaning of each symbol and how the components are connected.

3. How do I calculate current in a circuit?

Current is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. This can be represented as I = V/R. To calculate current, you must know the voltage and resistance values in the circuit.

4. What are the most common causes of high voltage problems?

Some common causes of high voltage problems include power surges, faulty wiring, and malfunctioning equipment. Overloaded circuits and short circuits can also lead to high voltage issues.

5. How can I prevent or solve high voltage problems?

To prevent high voltage problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical equipment and wiring. Proper grounding and use of surge protectors can also help. If a high voltage problem does occur, it is important to identify the source and address it promptly to avoid further damage or safety hazards.