These embarassing fumes make me sick

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
In summary, the person thinks they are getting sick from the fumes in the men's room, but it is psychosomatic.
Newai
What is this? Once in a long while, I enter the mens room and someone has dropped a serious napalm disaster. Fine in just about every situation, but here I end up getting sick. I know it's coming when my throat starts hurting the way it does. I know I'm going to be really sick tomorrow. How can a specific fume do that? And only to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Psychosomatic.

could be you're already getting sick.

By long while, I mean like two or three years. It's not in my head.

Newai said:
By long while, I mean like two or three years. It's not in my head.

the things that smell bad wouldn't give you a disease. gag reflex, maybe. and you've even got taste receptors in your throat, fwiw.

also, diseases tend to have incubation periods, so you shouldn't expect a sudden onset.

Could this be some sort of allergic reaction to cleaning and or other products used in toilets?

Proton Soup said:
the things that smell bad wouldn't give you a disease. gag reflex, maybe. and you've even got taste receptors in your throat, fwiw.

also, diseases tend to have incubation periods, so you shouldn't expect a sudden onset.

re: bolded: I'd add that the ones which are completely asymptomatic in that period are not uncommon, although a sense of malaise (feeling generally sick) often precedes frank symptoms. The ones that fulminate on the other hand, tend to just explode and kill you, so we can rule that out.

Here's my theory: It's psychosomatic. Now, don't jump up and say it's been 3 years and I'm calling you crazy. You clearly have a strong reaction to these... fumes... which you also describe as "embarrassing". If you smell something which disgusts you emotionally, you WILL have a physical reaction, although usually it's limited to change in pupilary dilation, and other markers.

What else happens when we're confronted with something that makes us feel disgusted in our minds?... usually we have a physical reaction that's fairly brief. One of them is gagging or even throwing up, but what if you don't just throw up on the spot? What if instead, you're a little more upset by this than most, or perhaps you have acid reflux already in a small way. I'm guessing that the "sickness", is the result of increased acid production, which can feel exactly like a stomach ailment, and even impart a sore throat and sinuses if you sleep on it.

I could be completely off, but let me say this: bad odors do not, because they are bad odors, make you ill. True, hydrogen sulfide smells terrible (at first), and its deadly, but so is CO2 and we breath it all of the time. The notion that ill vapors caused illness died along with the dark ages.

Dadface said:
Could this be some sort of allergic reaction to cleaning and or other products used in toilets?

Not uncommon, but usually acute and would be occurring when the head was just cleaned, not soiled. Otherwise, good idea, although nausea would be an odd reaction unless it's an organophosphate, and then I'd expect the full SLUDGE.

What are the causes of embarassing fumes?

Embarassing fumes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as poor hygiene, certain foods or drinks, digestive issues, or medical conditions.

How can I get rid of embarassing fumes?

The best way to get rid of embarassing fumes is to address the underlying cause. This may involve improving hygiene habits, avoiding trigger foods or drinks, or seeking medical treatment for underlying conditions.

Can embarassing fumes be a sign of a serious health issue?

In some cases, embarassing fumes can be a symptom of a more serious health issue, such as an infection or digestive disorder. If you experience persistent or worsening fumes, it is important to consult with a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Are there any natural remedies for embarassing fumes?

While there is no one-size-fits-all remedy for embarassing fumes, some people may find relief through natural remedies such as probiotics, activated charcoal, or herbal supplements. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider before trying any new remedies.

Can diet play a role in reducing embarassing fumes?

Yes, certain foods and drinks can contribute to embarassing fumes. It is important to pay attention to your diet and identify any trigger foods that may be causing your fumes. Making dietary changes, such as reducing intake of spicy or greasy foods, may help alleviate symptoms.