Calc 2 problem involving integration

In summary: Now f(0) is 3. Just evaluate f(4) to find the area between f '(x) and the x-axis on the interval [0, 4].In summary, the question is asking to find f(-3) and f(4) using the given information and graph of f'(x). To find f(-3), an equation for the line of f'(x) is found on the interval [-3,0] and then the original function is recovered using the point (0,3). Plugging in -3 to this recovered equation gives a result of 9/2. To find f(4), the area between f'(x) and the x-axis on the interval [
bennwalton
Hey everyone! My name is Ben, I'm a senior in high school working on an BC Calc problem and am having some general questions about it.

The question reads:

Let f be a function defined on the closed interval [-3,4] with f(0) = 3. The graph of f', the derivative of f, consists of one line segment and a semi circle, as shown above.

Then they provide this image:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5nCFcatsgGUIOnZXhKAObqzlF7qkiuW5MOX13BQcePo0e-N3jGQ&t=1

Letter D reads:

Find f(-3) and f(4). Show the work that leads to your answers.

To find f(-3), I found an equation for the line of f'(x) on x: [-3,0]. I found the equation to be y' = -x - 2. I then recovered the original function on that same interval, and found y = -x2/2 - 2x + C. I used the point (0,3) to find C because of the f(0) = 3 and found that f(x) = -x2 - 2x + 3 (all of this only on the interval [-3,0]. I then plugged in -3 into this recovered equation to find f(-3) = 9/2.

For whatever reason though, the second question baffled me. I tried to integrate geometrically again (as from 0 to 4 it's a semicircle of r=2 cut out of a rectangle of dimensions 2x4) and came up with the answer 8-2π (that's supposed to be a pi symbol...).

I guess my primary question is, do I add to that the integral of the other side? Would f(4) be the integral from [-3,0] + [0,4], or simply the integral from [0,4]? Do I use the equation of a circle to do something similar; do I have to integrate that?

Thanks so much! It's a wonder that a site like this exists :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I assume you mean f(0) = 3.

How did you get 9/2 when integrating f '(x) from ‒3 to 0 ?
From ‒3 to ‒2, there is an area of 1/2 above the x-axis.
From ‒2 to 0, there is an area of 2, which is below the x-axis. That translated to an integral of ‒2.

That gives a result of ‒3/2.​

In general:

[tex]\int_a^bf'(x)\,dx=f(b)-f(a)[/tex]

That's about all you need.

Sorry about the notation mistake, having to hold down shift to do all my parentheses must have thrown me off; a mere typo.

Alas, I mixed up what I was doing when typing out my method.

To find f(-3), I found an equation for the line of f'(x) on x: [-3,0]. I found the equation to be y' = -x - 2. I then recovered the original function on that same interval, and found y = -x2/2 - 2x + C. I used the point (0,3) to find C because of the f(0) = 3 and found that f(x) = -x2 - 2x + 3 (all of this only on the interval [-3,0]. I then plugged in -3 into this recovered equation to find f(-3).

Does that make sense? I'm sorry my work is all kind of jumbled on my sheet, I wrote out my process for a different part of the problem but matched it with the answer I got for this one...

So in light of having done that, how would I find f(4)? The graph to the right of the origin is a semi circle with radius 2; x2 + y2 = 4. which would lead to y = sqrt (4 - x2). But that's as far as I know how to go

Finding f(‒3):
Yes, that's one way to find f(‒3).

What I suggested went along with evaluating the integral graphically. There is more area below the x-axis than above on the interval [‒3, 0]. The area is ‒3/2.

Therefore, f(‒3) ‒ f(0) = ‒3/2 . Plug 3 in for f(0) and solve for f(‒3). Did you get f(‒3) = 3/2 ?​

Find f(4) in a similar way.

What is the area between f '(x) and the x-axis on the interval [0, 4] ?

It looks to me like it's the area of a 4×2 rectangle minus half the area of a circle of radius 2. (Of course this answer is negative since it's below the x-axis.)

Since f(x) is the anti-derivative of f '(x), the area is equal to f(4) ‒ f(0) .

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the area under a curve. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function, which is the function that when differentiated, gives the original function.

What is the purpose of integration in Calc 2?

In Calc 2, integration is used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the area under a curve, finding the volume of a solid with known cross-sections, and calculating the work done by a variable force.

What are the different techniques used in integration?

The main techniques used in integration are u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques allow us to solve a wide range of integration problems.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the area under a curve between two given points. Indefinite integration, on the other hand, involves finding the general antiderivative of a function without specifying any limits.

How do I know which integration technique to use for a given problem?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form of the function and the given limits. It often requires practice and familiarity with the different techniques. It is also helpful to try out different techniques and see which one yields the simplest solution.