Reviewing math for electrical engineering classes

In summary, the speaker has been out of school for 10 years and has returned to resume their coursework in electrical engineering. They have not taken any electrical engineering core classes and are starting from the beginning. They have transferred in general education and math classes, but do not remember all the techniques. They are reviewing calculus and have completed 1/4 of the material. In the fall, they will be taking Intro. to Digital Design, Circuits 1, and Physics 2. They are concerned about their mastery of math topics and if it is necessary for success in these courses. The other speaker believes it will come back quickly and suggests sitting in on math classes to get back into the language and formalism.
mmapcpro
I have been out of school for the past 10 years, and have returned to resume my coursework in electrical engineering (I changed majors from engineering physics).

I have not taken ANY electrical engineering core classes yet, so I am starting from the beginning with the major classes. I have all of my general education classes, and math classes transferred in. I have credit for calc 1, 2, 3, and ordinary differential equations. The problem is, I don't remember all of the techniques. I bought calculus and diff eq textbooks, and have begun reviewing calculus, working as many problems as is practical. So far, I'm about 1/4 of the way into the calculus 2 material.

In the fall, I will be taking Intro. to Digital Design, Circuits 1 (which has calc 2 as a pre-req), and Physics 2 (which in this school, focuses on electricity, magnetism, circuits, EM waves, light, and some modern physics).

My question is, do you think it is expected of me to have a mastery of all the math topics I have already taken to do well in these courses? Or will it be like riding a bike once I get into the EE courses?

I am only concerned because I also have to review my physics 1 and my C programming before fall.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmapcpro said:
My question is, do you think it is expected of me to have a mastery of all the math topics I have already taken to do well in these courses?
I really doubt it. In general, introductory physics courses like that only use the slightest bit of calculus, and even that you often only need a qualitative understanding of what's happening.

mmapcpro said:
Or will it be like riding a bike once I get into the EE courses
Even if that's not the case, I think it will come back to you fairly quickly.
You might want to consider just sitting in on a few math classes to get back into the language, the formalism, the ideology, etc. Personally, I have a lot of trouble just diving into a textbook without any thing else.

1. What math topics are most important to review for electrical engineering classes?

The most important math topics to review for electrical engineering classes are calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex numbers, and trigonometry. These topics are essential for understanding and solving problems in electrical engineering.

2. Are there any specific resources or study materials you would recommend for reviewing math for electrical engineering classes?

Yes, some recommended resources for reviewing math for electrical engineering classes are textbooks such as "Mathematics for Electrical Engineering and Computing" by Mary Attenborough and "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free math tutorials and practice problems.

3. How much time should I spend reviewing math for electrical engineering classes?

The amount of time you should spend reviewing math for electrical engineering classes can vary depending on your level of proficiency and the difficulty of the course. However, it is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours per day reviewing math concepts and practicing problems.

4. Can reviewing math help me improve my problem-solving skills in electrical engineering?

Yes, reviewing math can greatly improve your problem-solving skills in electrical engineering. Math provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in the field, and reviewing it can help you develop the critical thinking and analytical skills necessary for success in electrical engineering.

5. Is it necessary to review math even if I am already familiar with the concepts?

Yes, it is still important to review math even if you are familiar with the concepts. Regular practice and review can help solidify your understanding and improve your speed and accuracy in solving problems. It can also help you identify any areas of weakness that may need further review.