High Pressure Compressor Configuration: Achieving 1000 Pound Pressure in Minutes

• Thread starter jack001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the conversation discussed the configuration of a compressor capable of producing 1000 pounds of pressure per minute and the possibility of storing this high pressure of compressed air in a 2-inch diameter and 12-inch height cylinder. It was suggested that the flow rate into the cylinder needs to be approximated in order to pressurize it to 1000 psig in one minute. The option of purchasing a cylinder or making one using ASME codes was also mentioned.
jack001
hello,

i want the configuration of a compressor having capability of producing 1000 pound pressure in a min.

is it possible to store that high pressure of compressed air in a cylinder having 2"(inches) diameter and 12"(inches) height?

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The rate at which a cylinder is simply a function of the flow rate into the cylinder and cylinder volume. Since you have an aproximate cylinder volume in mind, you can aproximate the flow rate into the cylinder you'll need in order to pressurize it to 1000 psig in one minute.

You could purchase a cylinder for this type of service or make your own depending on your ability to design and fabricate something like this. Making a cylinder out of pipe is simple enough, but you need to follow engineering standards for that. Typically, we use ASME codes in the US. In this case, the pressure vessel code should be used but a code stamp isn't required because the cylinder diameter is less than 6".

thanks dude.. will keep your valuable instructions in ma mind.

1. What is a compressor and what does it do?

A compressor is a mechanical device that is used to increase the pressure of a gas or air. It works by reducing the volume of the gas and increasing its density, which leads to an increase in pressure. Compressors are commonly used in refrigeration systems, air conditioners, and pneumatic tools.

2. How do I know if my compressor needs help or maintenance?

There are a few signs that can indicate that your compressor may need help or maintenance. These include unusual noises, leaks, reduced cooling or pressure, and increased energy consumption. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to consult a professional for further inspection and maintenance.

3. What are some common problems with compressors?

Some common problems with compressors include oil leaks, worn out or damaged parts, low refrigerant levels, and electrical issues. These problems can lead to reduced efficiency, increased energy consumption, and even system failure if not addressed promptly.

4. How often should I get my compressor serviced?

The frequency of compressor servicing depends on the usage and maintenance history of the compressor. In general, it is recommended to get your compressor serviced at least once a year to ensure optimum performance and identify any potential issues before they become major problems.

5. Can I troubleshoot and fix compressor problems on my own?

While simple maintenance tasks like cleaning and changing filters can be done by the user, it is best to leave any major troubleshooting and repairs to a trained professional. Attempting to fix complex compressor problems on your own can be dangerous and may cause further damage to the system.