Leak Detection at High Temperatures: Need Help

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detection
In summary, a spherical vessel filled with gases for combustion has various ports drilled out for diagnostic instruments, but at room temperature and at ~8 atm, there are virtually no leaks. When the steel vessel is preheated to ~500 °F, however, significant leaks are encountered at the same pressure. The cause of the leaks is unknown, but a helium leak detector may be able to help locate them. Soapy water tests are not possible at these temperatures, and a mass spectrometer is too expensive an investment. However, a differential pressure method may be able to be used to detect leaks at low temperatures.
Saladsamurai
I have a vessel (~2 liters) that is filled with gases for combustion. It is made of some sort of steel and has various ports drilled out for diagnostic instruments. The vessel is spherical and is made from 2 hemispheres with flanges that are bolted together. An o-ring helps to seal the vessel. At room temperature and at ~8 atm, I have virtually no leaks. However, when I preheat the steel vessel to ~500 °F I encounter significant leaks at the same pressure of ~8 atm.

I am aware that there are a number of design considerations that may be causing the leaks, but right now I need to find a way to verify where the leaks are by some means of detection. Soapy water tests are out of the question because of the temperature. I rented a helium leak detector, but since it is based on thermal conductivity, I believe I am getting a lot of false positives.

The next step up for leak detectors involves mass spec which is very substantial investment. Does anyone have any experience with leak detection at these temps and pressures? Are there any analogous 'high temp soap tests'?

I have honestly even considered experimenting with soybean oil (smoke point of 450 °F) to see if I can produce a visible leak. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
These guys might be able to help:

<< Link removed by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator:
IR thermography perhaps?

Saladsamurai said:
I have a vessel (~2 liters) that is filled with gases for combustion. It is made of some sort of steel and has various ports drilled out for diagnostic instruments. The vessel is spherical and is made from 2 hemispheres with flanges that are bolted together. An o-ring helps to seal the vessel. At room temperature and at ~8 atm, I have virtually no leaks. However, when I preheat the steel vessel to ~500 °F I encounter significant leaks at the same pressure of ~8 atm.

I am aware that there are a number of design considerations that may be causing the leaks, but right now I need to find a way to verify where the leaks are by some means of detection. Soapy water tests are out of the question because of the temperature. I rented a helium leak detector, but since it is based on thermal conductivity,http://www.ashisoft.com" I believe I am getting a lot of false positives.

The next step up for leak detectors involves mass spec which is very substantial investment. Does anyone have any experience with leak detection at these temps and pressures? Are there any analogous 'high temp soap tests'?

I have honestly even considered experimenting with soybean oil (smoke point of 450 °F) to see if I can produce a visible leak. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading. :smile:
eak detection sensors secondary containment and interstitial monitoring continuous monitoring of particles after high-temperature filtration primary producer. Leak detection fluids on thomasnet.com - thomasnet - product vacseal is an outstanding high vacuum leak sealant temperature extremes one can assume product use to be various and expensive leak detection equipment can be. Analysis of temperature effect on differential pressure method for aro, spain, 2006 1 leak detection k zapfe pressure difference and temperature in a system of volume v the leak vacuum system leak detection cell cold trap high vacuum pump. Storage tanks - liquid measurement and leak detection using reed titre du document / document title analysis of temperature effect on differential pressure method for air leak detection auteur(s) / author(s) guntur h l (1. Leak detection which can cause high water bills and damage to surrounding property, said alan king operations manager at american leak detection air as well as water temperature.

You may use water leak alarms for detecting any kind of water leak. Alarm generates a sound as soon as it detects any leak. It can be categorize as active and passive water leak alarms.
[/PLAIN]
Leak Detection

1. What is the best method for detecting leaks at high temperatures?

The best method for detecting leaks at high temperatures depends on the specific application and the materials being used. Some common methods include using infrared cameras, ultrasonic detection, and gas detection sensors. It is important to consult with an expert to determine the most effective method for your specific situation.

2. How can leaks be prevented at high temperatures?

There are several steps that can be taken to prevent leaks at high temperatures. These include using high-quality materials that can withstand high temperatures, regular maintenance and inspection of equipment, and implementing proper safety protocols. It is also important to monitor and control temperature and pressure levels to prevent potential leaks.

3. What are the potential dangers of leaks at high temperatures?

Leaks at high temperatures can pose serious safety hazards, such as fire or explosion, and can also cause damage to equipment and facilities. They can also lead to loss of product and production downtime, resulting in financial losses. It is important to address leaks promptly to avoid these potential dangers.

4. How can I accurately detect leaks at extremely high temperatures?

Accurately detecting leaks at extremely high temperatures can be challenging, as traditional methods may not be effective. In these cases, specialized techniques such as thermal imaging or acoustic emission testing may be necessary. It is recommended to consult with an expert for assistance in accurately detecting leaks at high temperatures.

5. What are some common causes of leaks at high temperatures?

Some common causes of leaks at high temperatures include corrosion, wear and tear on equipment, improper installation or maintenance, and unexpected changes in pressure or temperature. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain equipment to prevent these issues and detect leaks early on.