Hybrid Battery Charger Question/Idea

In summary, an aftermarket charger is not currently available for the Ford Escape Hybrid, and the location in which the car is located does not allow for a "plug in" option. A solar charger could be used in series to provide a charge to the battery system, but this would be a dangerous proposition due to the high voltage output of the hybrid battery.
fordscott
I have a Ford Escape Hybrid. it is a 330v battery with about 1.4kw of capacity. Currently there is no cost effective after market charger. Also my location in NYC does not allow me a "plug in" option.

I had an idea on how to access the battery pack to charge it, but I wanted to know if this is a reasonable way to go about it.

All the electronics in the car received the energy from 330v batter. There is a converter there to step it down. There is a wire harness on the back of the battery that supplies the electric to the rest of the truck. This is a 12v system. Is it possible to deliver a 12v charge via a solar charger in series to deliver a charge to the battery system?

In other words, splice into a single wire, the positive end of the wire would go to the positive end of the charger and negative to negative. Would the additional amperage return to the battery and charge it, or is this a bad idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean to put the charger in the ground connection of the battery?

No, it wouldn't work. There is no return path for the current from the battery charger. It would just boost the output by 12 volts.

The battery voltage on these cars would be lethal and you should not go anywhere near it.

not the 330 v side. the hybrid battery also has a 12 v side. this is all done internally in the battery where a step down converter exists. all the electronics are 12 v, only the drive train uses the 330 v.

my question is first can you charge in series. instead of connecting to the battery terminals, can I select a single wire, cut it, and insert a charger there all on the distal side of the radio for example?

You would have to see the circuit diagram, but, normally, I would expect that this 12 volt output was a one-way arrangement where you couldn't feed power back the other way towards the big battery.

It is not all that difficult to produce 350 volts from a mains supply for charging purposes and it is surprising that nobody does it at a reasonable price.
There are issues of safety, of course, but these could be overcome fairly easily.

Maybe the prices get inflated to match what owners are prepared to pay.

1. What is a hybrid battery charger?

A hybrid battery charger is a device that charges the battery of a hybrid car by converting electrical energy into chemical energy. It is an essential component of a hybrid car, as it allows the car to run on both electricity and gasoline.

2. How does a hybrid battery charger work?

A hybrid battery charger works by using an alternator to charge the battery while the car is running. It also uses regenerative braking, which converts the energy from braking into electricity to charge the battery.

3. Can a hybrid battery charger be used to charge other types of batteries?

No, a hybrid battery charger is designed specifically for hybrid car batteries and may not be compatible with other types of batteries. It is important to use the correct charger for each type of battery to avoid damaging the battery or the charger.

4. Is it safe to leave a hybrid battery charger plugged in for an extended period of time?

Yes, it is safe to leave a hybrid battery charger plugged in for an extended period of time. These chargers are designed to automatically stop charging when the battery is fully charged, preventing any damage to the battery. However, it is recommended to unplug the charger when not in use to save energy.

5. Can a hybrid battery charger be used to jumpstart a car?

No, a hybrid battery charger is not designed to jumpstart a car. It is important to use a traditional car battery charger for jumpstarting a car to avoid damaging the hybrid battery.