How to Extract Grain-Sized Gold in Dirt?

• Thread starter cloud_sync
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary: Pyrite is an alloy of copper and zinc and has a warm yellow or orange glow when exposed to light. It usually produces a 'glittery' appearance when collected.
cloud_sync
Actually, it is smaller. Is is more like glitter-sized. What process do I use to extract it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Due to gold's density (specific gravity) you can place your ore in water and mix it well. Turn it into a slurry. All the gold will sink to the bottom.

Check out some online videos on gold panning. Even lead weights and bullets will roll around in a pan of water. The gold sticks like it is nailed there.

If you see 'glittery' stuff, it is probably pyrite, not gold. Gold really doesn't doesn't glitter.

Shootist said:
If you see 'glittery' stuff, it is probably pyrite, not gold. Gold really doesn't doesn't glitter.
Right. More like a warm yellow glow. I love panning for gold and it's always fun to see that glow in the dregs as you slosh out the lighter stuff.

Yeah, the glitter-like gold doesn't sink favorably either. Are you stating that even glitter-size gold sinks? Is there any other kind of test I can run on it?

IF it's gold, it should sink, as buoyancy is a function of density and gold is very dense, no matter the size of the particles.

cloud_sync said:
Yeah, the glitter-like gold doesn't sink favorably either. Are you stating that even glitter-size gold sinks? Is there any other kind of test I can run on it?
Density is the best test. Even gold dust sinks. We have a river locally that contains some placer gold, and when you agitate the pan, the regular sand and dirt wash out cleanly, leaving a reddish "sand" composed of weathered garnet, which also washes out, leaving a fine dense black material, AND (if you are lucky or skillful) gold. If you are paranoid about losing even a fine particle of gold, you can take all the black material home for more careful separation, but I just dip more water, agitate, and swirl and let density do the trick.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, it appears to be pyrite like Shootist suggested - fool's gold.

1. How do I identify gold in dirt?

There are a few different ways to identify gold in dirt. One method is to use a metal detector, which will detect the presence of gold based on its conductivity and magnetic properties. Another method is to visually examine the dirt for any visible gold particles or veins. Additionally, you can also use a gold pan to separate out any small gold particles from the dirt.

2. What tools do I need to extract grain-sized gold from dirt?

The tools you will need to extract grain-sized gold from dirt include a metal detector, a gold pan, and various other tools such as shovels, buckets, and tweezers. You may also want to consider using a gold snuffer bottle or magnifying glass for easier extraction.

3. Is it possible to extract gold from all types of dirt?

While gold can be found in many types of dirt, not all types of dirt will contain gold. Gold is most commonly found in areas with high mineralization, such as near mountains or in riverbeds. It is also more likely to be found in areas where gold has been discovered before. However, it is always worth exploring and testing different types of dirt to see if there is any gold present.

4. How do I extract the gold from the dirt once I have identified it?

The extraction process will depend on the amount of gold and the type of dirt you are working with. In general, the most common method is to use a gold pan to separate out the gold particles from the dirt. You can also use a sluice box or other specialized equipment for larger quantities of dirt. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for each method to ensure successful extraction.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when extracting gold from dirt?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when extracting gold from dirt. Firstly, make sure to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles to avoid any contact with harmful chemicals or sharp tools. It is also important to properly dispose of any chemicals or waste products used in the extraction process. Additionally, be aware of any potential hazards in the area, such as steep cliffs or fast-moving water, and use caution when working in these areas.