What Is the Average Lifespan of American Women?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, Saint's grandmother passed away peacefully at 93 years old. She was a Buddhist and her funeral will be Buddhist-style with monks and nuns present. Her loved ones will wear red in remembrance.
Saint
She passed away on 9/Nov/2004 3pm

She lived 93 year-old.

What is the average life span of american female?

Physics news on Phys.org
less than that, she lived a good long time, sorry for your loss.

US Life Expectancy at birth
total population: 77.43 years
male: 74.63 years
female: 80.36 years (2004 est.)

Last edited:
she died peacefully.
my father and uncles do a buddhism funeral ritual for her, she is a buddhist.

we spent 150USD to publish a obituary on local newspaper

she was born on 1911 in China Mainland, then shifted to malaysia with my grandpa,
my grand pa died of throat cancer in 1971 at 68 year-old, he was heavy smoker of cigar (without filter), he died in hospital in Kuala Lumpur during radiation therapy, during that time, malaysia was still very underdeveloped, only a single hospital in KL had radiation therapy, when he died, nobody was at his side .

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what's a buddhist funeral like?

Smurf said:
If you don't mind me asking, what's a buddhist funeral like?

Some buddhist monks/nuns will come and setup the statue of buddha, then they will lead reciting the scriptures of buddhism, and the merit will be transferred to the dead. Hope that the dead will be born in the so-called paradise of Amithaba (one of the Buddhas who lives in the west), or, at least the dead will be born again in a better situation, won't go to hell or born as animals.

Tomorrow (Saturday here) will be my grandma's funeral,
her body will be cremated (lack of land to bury dead people in malaysia, cremation is more popular now, and cheaper) and the ashes will be put in a buddhist temple at the back of my house.

About 4 weeks ago, she started to be in subsconscious condition,
couldn't eat much, my aunty only fed her with liquid milk, all relatives were informed,
her most-loved daughter, flew back from Australia to see her for ten days, went back on 8/Nov, and my grandma passed away on 9/Nov, so she can't attend her funeral.
My aunty is a nurse in Australia, she saw a lot of dead people before, she said that my grandma can't live any longer, surely to die soon. We did not feel too sad, because she is old enough to say Goodbye to this world, 93 years old is quite long !

Smurf said:
less than that, she lived a good long time, sorry for your loss.

US Life Expectancy at birth
total population: 77.43 years
male: 74.63 years
female: 80.36 years (2004 est.)

Any special reasons that female lives longer than male ?

In US, after cremation, where do you put the ashes?
For land burial, how much it will cost ?

For people who died >80 years old, the relative will wear Red instead of Black,
because it is not a bad news to die so old. :smile:

grandma1.jpg

grandma2.jpg

grandma3.jpg

Saint said:
They Eat less McDonalds

My great grandmother died when she was around 90 years old. I had to wear white to the funeral.

I am sorry for your loss, Saint. What is your favorite memory of your grandmother?

Please accept my sorry for your loss.
The good memories of you grandmother will still alive among the people who she loved adn they loved her.
A saying from my culture: "Who have sons and grandsons...will not die"

I know she ate porridge everyday.
She ate ver little meat, but more vegetables. Maybe this gives her long life.

Moses said:
Please accept my sorry for your loss.
The good memories of you grandmother will still alive among the people who she loved adn they loved her.
A saying from my culture: "Who have sons and grandsons...will not die"

thankyou, very wise saying.

I am sorry for your loss and thank you for treating us worthy of the news and sharing it with us. Take it easy.

Saint said:

One reason is males are more likely to engage in riskier activities. They are more likely to die in work place accidents or suffer life-shortening work related injuries or diseases. They are also more likely to pursue riskier non-work related activities.

grandma5.jpg

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. She will continue to live in your heart.

Evo said:
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. She will continue to live in your heart.

YES She Will, Forever.

the coffin was put into the furnace for cremation
popo1.jpg

group photo of relatives.

popo2.jpg

My Grandma is peaceful now, Forever!

i miss her, last night i dreamed her, she just appeared a while in my dream.

Holy Cow ! I did not know they burn coffin too :bugeye: .What a waste, it could be reused it.
By the way saint sorry for your relative death, be strong, soon we will also go up with the smoke :wink:

PS My grandmother died at 74, she had veins full of fat and blood simply could not get to the brain.I'm vegan now.

Last edited:
last night i dreamed about her again.

Saint said:

Must be a nice dream ;)

Saint said:
she's just letting you know she's happy and well in the next life. :smile:

I was little when my grandma died, but I remember every second of that day. I always take a nap around 3 pm so that day I took my nap as usual. My grandma had cancer and was sick for a long time (at that time I didn't even know she had cancer). I had a dream when I was sleeping that she was in a boat, sleeping and crossing a river. On the left side of the river I saw many women and men in black crying. On the right side I saw angels playing music. The boat was moving from left to right while she was sleeping on it. It makes me wonder if there's any more to us than atheists think, but anyways, I woke up and my aunt told me that my grandma died. She died in the same hour I had that dream (maybe even the same second).

I never had anyone extremely close to me die yet (Thank God), but I thought about it a lot. People get very sad when their relatives die and I can understand why. But all of us are going to die one day, so should I start thinking about what to do when my relatives die right now when they're not dead yet? I know they're going to die, but all I can do is live my life normally until that day, and when that day comes I can cry and be as upset as I want to be (which is stupid because that day can be tomorrow) OR not be sad when they die (which is also stupid). Ah well, we all have to face death sometime but keep in mind that no one knows what's on the other side.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

How much money did she leave you?

tumor said:
How much money did she leave you?

She is a housewife, my grandpa died in 1970,
do you think she has money ? :frown:

I miss her not bcoz of money.

Saint said:
I miss her not bcoz of money.

Yeah! right :wink:

Good gracious, tumor! Why are you making those assumptions? Have you not ever lost someone you loved? How can you be so callous?

Sorry about that Saint, i got carried away.Must be my brain tumor again :rofl:

Last edited: