Teaching Math to 10th Graders: Creative Ideas and Puzzles

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, BobG recommends fun things in math for 10th graders that captivate them and are challenging. He recommends topics like sets, trigonometry, sequences and series, 2-D geometry (circles, lines, ellipses, hyperbola, parabola), matrices and determinants, basic differential calculus, and prime numbers.
jobsism
I've got to teach a class of 10th graders math tomorrow. I was thinking of showing some fun things in math like puzzles, understandable open problems in math,etc.

Can anyone suggest me some fun stuff in math that would captivate 10th graders?

Science news on Phys.org
what is the curriculum that they are supposed to master?

Nah, I'm actually a high-schooler, and we have this Teachers' Day in our school, where we seniors teach the younger kids. So, it's just supposed to be a mock class, but I wanted the kids to take an interest in math,not just listen to a boring guy with equations, because I myself am in love with math, and want others to love it too. :D ...so what do you suggest?

What topics did you learn when you were a sophomore?

Well, I know sets,trigononometry,sequences & series,2-D geometry(circles,lines,ellipses,hyperbola,parabola), matrices & determinants, basic differential calculus, and tidbits on prime numbers.

jobsism said:
Well, I know sets,trigononometry,sequences & series,2-D geometry(circles,lines,ellipses,hyperbola,parabola), matrices & determinants, basic differential calculus, and tidbits on prime numbers.

WOW! All of this in grade 10?! You must be geniuses in your school.

May I suggest a geometry problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=38556&stc=1&d=1315153223.gif

Using only elementary geometry, determine angle x. Provide a step-by-step proof.

Attachments

• Triangle1.gif
    Triangle1.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 642
x=60

Proof:-

Let angle CDE=y
angle CED=z

Let that almost central point in the triangle be denoted by O.

Then, angle CDB=180-(20+20)=140 [Angle sum property of a triangle]

angle CEA=180-(20+10)=150[Angle sum property of a triangle]

angle DOE= 50[Vertically opposite angles]

20+y+z=180
==>y+z=160[Angle sum property of a triangle]----eq 1

x+z=180-(20+10)=150[Angle sum property of a triangle]----eq 2

eq 1-eq 2
==> y-x= 10 [eq 3]

50+x+y=180
==>x+y=130 [eq 4]

eq 3 + eq 4
==> 2y=140
==>y=70

Sub in eq 3,

70-x=10
==>x=60

Whew!...Sorry I took a long time...had difficulty typing on
my cramped iPod...Also,please forgive my crazy notations...

angle

jobsism said:
50+x+y=180
==>x+y=130 [eq 4]

How did you deduce that?

Oops, I made a mistake...Give me a couple minutes,please..

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to find x(I must seem like a total idiot). Could you please complete the proof?

Line CD has to be equal to line DB.

Line DE is common to triangles CDE and BDE.

Try the law of sines for each triangle. There will be two possible answers mathematically, but the 'correct' answer will be obvious, and will also show why you got the correct answer in spite of your error.

Ah, thank you BobG! Can't believe I overlooked something as simple as this !

So angle DCE=180-(80+80)=20

so that CD=DB(Isosceles triangle property)

then,by the law of sines,

CD/sin(z) = DB/sin(x+30)
==>z=x+30
==>z-x=30----eq 1

and from earlier, z+x=150---eq 2

eq 2-eq1
==>2x=120
==>x=60

Last edited:
jobsism said:
Ah, thank you BobG! Can't believe I overlooked something as simple as this !

So angle DCE=180-(80+80)=20

so that CD=DB(Isosceles triangle property)

then,by the law of sines,

CD/z = DB/(x+30)
==>z=x+30
==>z-x=30----eq 1

and from earlier, z+x=150---eq 2

eq 2-eq1
==>2x=120
==>x=60

Actually, by the Law of sines, you would get:
[tex]
\frac{\overline{CD}}{\sin{(z)}} = \frac{\overline{DE}}{\sin{(20^\circ)}} = \frac{\overline{DB}}{\sin{(x + 30^\circ)}}
[/tex]
which, by the isosceles property that you noticed, would make:
[tex]
\sin{(z)} = \sin{(x + 30^\circ)}
[/tex]

Now, if the sine of two angles is the same, it means that either:
[tex]
z = x + 30^\circ
[/tex]
which is what you call Eq.(1)

OR
[tex]
z = 180^\circ - (x + 30^\circ) = 150^\circ - x
[/tex]
which gives back your Eq.(2).

So, you how do you know that we have the first case and not the second?

I am actually fascinated with things I don't understand. It makes me want to understand it! However not all are like me. For me, the easiest way for me to remember something is to associate it with weird stuff. I still remember stuff from my logic class and my prof used wacky stuff that stuck with me. I know its a bit late...but this thread reminded me of what some person put during PF Chat and I like it. Next time you do this, try getting your students to do it.

dancemoves.jpe

28tesg6.jpg
?

@Ivan: Both cases are really the same. That's why we are able to solve for z using the two simultaneous equations.

I share your same passion for knowledge! I really love puzzles...the thrill from solving them equals nothing else...And hey, thanks for sharing the Beautiful Dance Moves. That's really a good way to memorise the graphs! :D

1. How can I make math more interesting for 10th graders?

One way to make math more interesting for 10th graders is to incorporate creative activities and puzzles into your teaching. You can use real-world examples, group work, and hands-on activities to engage students and make math more relatable.

2. Are there any specific puzzles or games that are effective for teaching math to 10th graders?

Yes, there are many puzzles and games that can be effective for teaching math to 10th graders. Some examples include Sudoku, logic puzzles, and escape room challenges. These activities can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills while also making math more enjoyable.

3. How can I encourage students who are struggling with math?

First, make sure to provide a supportive and non-judgmental environment for students to ask questions and seek help. You can also offer extra practice problems and one-on-one tutoring sessions. Additionally, using a variety of teaching methods and incorporating real-world examples can help make math more accessible to struggling students.

4. How do I balance teaching creative ideas and puzzles with traditional math curriculum?

The key is to find a balance between traditional curriculum and creative ideas and puzzles. You can incorporate these activities as a way to reinforce and apply concepts taught in the traditional curriculum. It is important to ensure that students are still meeting the necessary learning objectives while also making math more engaging.

5. How can I assess student understanding and progress when using creative ideas and puzzles?

There are various ways to assess student understanding and progress when using creative ideas and puzzles. One approach is to have students complete a reflection or exit ticket after each activity, where they can explain their thought process and any challenges they faced. You can also incorporate these activities into quizzes or tests to assess their understanding of the underlying concepts.