Reactions in Solution, But Not In Solid Form?

In summary, when calcium chloride and sodium carbonate are in solid form, they are nonreactive because the ions are not free to interact with each other. However, when dissolved in water, the ions are able to move freely and react to form calcium carbonate and sodium chloride. This is due to the dissociation of the compounds into their individual ions, allowing for a double replacement reaction to occur.
Mazurka
Chemistry: Reactions in Solution, But Not In Solid Form?

Homework Statement

"Calcium chloride and sodium carbonate are two ionic solids. If the solids are placed together, nothing seems to happen. However, if they are mixed in water, the following chemical reaction occurs:

* See relevant equations.

Explain why calcium chloride and sodium carbonate react in solution but not in solid form."

Homework Equations

CaCl2(aq) + Na2CO3(aq) → CaCO3(s) + 2 NaCl(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

The two ionic compounds in their solid state are nonreactive. As a result, when placed together, no reaction occurs. However, when each compound is dissolved into water, dissociation results in the separation of each compound into its respective individual ions. In this dispersed state, the ions can bind to ions from the other substance. The relatively insoluble calcium carbonate that is formed through this double replacement reaction crystallizes and becomes a precipitate within the solution, and the highly soluble sodium chloride dissolves easily into the solution, retaining an aqueous state.

This question brought my work to a halt, as the provided material I have been studying is relatively vague. The answer I provided above is simply a best guess. There may certain details I overlooked.

Please take into account that I am only at an intermediate high school level of education. I will not be able to understand any explanation that requires me to have attended a grade twelve or university level of chemistry. I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thank you,

Eric.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like your answer. In solids cations and anions are built into the crystalline structure, so they can't freely move and create new substances.

What is the difference between reactions in solution and reactions in solid form?

Reactions in solution occur when substances are dissolved in a liquid solvent, while reactions in solid form occur when substances are in a solid state. In solution, the particles are more spread out and have more room to move, allowing for easier interaction and faster reactions.

What factors can affect the rate of reactions in solution?

The rate of reactions in solution can be affected by the concentration of the reactants, temperature, presence of a catalyst, and the surface area of the reactants. Higher concentrations, higher temperatures, and larger surface areas can all increase the rate of reactions in solution.

How does solubility play a role in reactions in solution?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent. In reactions in solution, the solubility of the substances involved can affect the rate and outcome of the reaction. Substances with high solubility will dissolve easily and interact more readily with other substances, leading to faster reactions.

What are some examples of reactions that occur in solution, but not in solid form?

Examples of reactions that occur in solution, but not in solid form, include acid-base reactions, precipitation reactions, and redox reactions. These reactions involve substances dissolving in a solvent and interacting with each other to form new substances.

How do chemists study reactions in solution?

Chemists use a variety of techniques and tools to study reactions in solution, including spectroscopy, chromatography, and electrochemistry. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the substances involved in the reaction, as well as track the changes that occur during the reaction.