Velocity addition formula for multiple velocities within each other

In summary, the formula for the velocity of the nth cart relative to the observer is u_n = c*tanh(n*tanh^-1(u/c)). This can also be approximated as u_n ≈ c*tanh(nu/c) if u is much smaller than c.
um0123
I am having a problem coming up with an empirical formula for multiple objects moving with the same speed relative to each one up.

I.e. there is a cart moving with speed u relative to me, and inside it is a cart moving speed u relative to the cart is inside it. and inside that cart is a cart moving speed u relative to the second cart. and so on...

what i can't seem to come up with is an empirical formula that gives me the speed of the nth cart relative to me.

so far i understand that if i used the tanh(λ) formula to derive an empirical formula because it just seems to get bigger for each additional cart.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply have to iterate the relativistic velocity-addition formula (setting c=1)

[tex]v \oplus u = \frac{v+u}{1+vu}[/tex]

Now assume that starting with u0 = 0 you have obtained un in the n.-th step; the next step is then

[tex]u_{n+1} = u_n \oplus u = \frac{u_n+u}{1+u_n u}[/tex]

where I used v = un

You get

[tex]u_0 = 0[/tex]

[tex]u_1 = u[/tex]

[tex]u_2 = \frac{2u}{1+u^2}[/tex]

[tex]\ldots[/tex]

i got that much, but I am trying to find a formula that will tell me the velocity of any nth cart, so i need something empirical instead of recursive.

"Empirical" means "experimental", so you're probably looking for some other word.

I don't know if there's a simple way to write down such a formula, but if there is, the way to find it is to calculate the result for n=1,2,3,4,... as many as it takes for you to guess the result for an arbitrary n. And then you have to prove by induction that your guess is correct.

um0123 said:
... trying to find a formula that will tell me the velocity of any nth cart
In order to do that you should express the Lorentz transformation in terms of the rapidity θ. Then you take the matrix L(θ) defining the Lorentz transformation and calculate the n-th power Ln(θ) of this matrix. Using the "double argument formulas" for hyperbolic sine and cosine you will find that L2(θ) = L(2θ) and therefore you can guess that the Lorentz transformation is additive in terms of the rapidity, i.e. Ln(θ) = L(nθ). Doing that allows you to calculate θ(u) and n*θ(u) and invert this as un = u(n*θ(u1))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Rapidity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function#Comparison_with_circular_trigonometric_functions

Last edited:
um0123 said:
so far i understand that if i used the tanh(λ) formula to derive an empirical formula because it just seems to get bigger for each additional cart.
If we take the formula in post #2
tom.stoer said:
[tex]

v \oplus u = \frac{v+u}{1+\frac{vu}{c^2}}

[/tex]
and substitute [itex]u = c\,\tanh\lambda;\ v=c\,\tanh\mu[/itex], you get[tex]

(c\,\tanh\lambda)\ \oplus\ (c\,\tanh\mu)\ =\ c\,\tanh(\lambda + \mu)

[/tex]which leads to the result[tex]

u_n\ =\ c\,\tanh\left(n\,\tanh^{-1}\frac{u}{c}\right)

[/tex]If u is very small compared with c, this can be approximated as[tex]

u_n\ \approx\ c\,\tanh\frac{nu}{c}

[/tex](All of the above is essentially what tom said in the last post, expressed in a different notation.)

DrGreg said:
(All of the above is essentially what tom said in the last post, expressed in a different notation.)
Yes, this is what I tried to indicate in post #5

1. What is the velocity addition formula for multiple velocities within each other?

The velocity addition formula for multiple velocities within each other is a mathematical formula used to calculate the resulting velocity of an object when it is moving in different directions and at different speeds. It takes into account the principles of relativity and is commonly used in physics and astronomy.

2. How do you use the velocity addition formula?

To use the velocity addition formula, you need to know the velocities of the object in each direction. Then, you can plug these values into the formula, which is v = (u + v)/(1 + (uv/c^2)), where v is the resulting velocity, u is the initial velocity, v is the additional velocity, and c is the speed of light. The resulting velocity will be in the same units as the initial velocities.

3. Why is the velocity addition formula important?

The velocity addition formula is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the resulting velocity of an object that is moving in different directions and at different speeds. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications, such as in space travel and satellite navigation.

4. What are the limitations of the velocity addition formula?

The velocity addition formula is based on the principles of relativity and assumes that the speed of light is constant. This means that it is only applicable to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as acceleration and gravitational effects.

5. Can the velocity addition formula be used for objects moving at the speed of light?

No, the velocity addition formula cannot be used for objects moving at the speed of light. This is because, at the speed of light, the formula would result in a division by zero, which is undefined. The formula is only valid for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light.