What occupies the spaces between particles in a gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of what occupies the spaces between particles in a gas, specifically in regards to air. The conclusion is that these spaces are considered a vacuum, but are not noticeable in daily life due to the size difference between humans and air molecules. It is also noted that the spaces between particles in all states of matter, including inside atoms, are mostly vacuum as well.
dioprem
As you can see from the title, I'm puzzled as to what occupies the spaces in between the particles in a gas.

Take air for example. In Chemistry, I have learned that the particles in a gas are far apart. Hence the particles in the air around me are far apart. But if there are no particles in the spaces,it means no matter exists. So is it a vacuum? If so, why don't I experience it on a daily basis?

Sorry if the question is trivial, but it has been bugging me for some time.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, it is vacuum. You don't "see" it as you much larger than the air molecules.

Note that the space between atoms, regardless of the state of matter, or even inside atoms, is mostly vacuum as well.

So in other words the distances are insignificant when compared to our size?

You can put it that way.

I can provide an explanation for what occupies the spaces between particles in a gas. The spaces between particles in a gas are not empty, but rather filled with a mixture of gas molecules and other particles such as atoms, ions, and free electrons. This mixture is known as the gas phase.

In the case of air, the spaces between gas particles are filled with a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other gases. These particles are constantly moving and colliding with each other, creating pressure and giving the illusion of a continuous substance. This is why we do not experience a vacuum on a daily basis.

Furthermore, the concept of a vacuum is relative. In outer space, where there is very little matter, the spaces between particles are considered a vacuum. But on Earth, where there is a significant amount of gas molecules present, the spaces between particles are not considered a vacuum.

I hope this explanation helps to clear up your confusion and demonstrates the complexity of the gas phase. It is important to remember that even though the particles in a gas may be far apart, they are still present and interacting with each other.

What occupies the spaces between particles in a gas?

The spaces between particles in a gas are occupied by mainly empty space, as well as other gas particles and electromagnetic forces.

Are there any other types of particles present in a gas besides gas particles?

In addition to gas particles, there may also be small amounts of other particles present in a gas, such as dust, water vapor, and ions.

Do gas particles constantly move and fill the available space?

Yes, gas particles are in constant motion due to their high energy and lack of strong intermolecular forces. This allows them to fill the available space in a container.

Can the spaces between particles in a gas be compressed?

Yes, the spaces between gas particles can be compressed by applying pressure to the gas. This causes the particles to move closer together, reducing the overall volume of the gas.

What happens to the spaces between particles in a gas at extreme temperatures or pressures?

At extreme temperatures and pressures, the spaces between gas particles may decrease or increase, depending on the conditions. For example, at very low temperatures, gas particles may condense into a liquid, decreasing the overall space between them. At high pressures, the spaces may decrease due to the particles being forced closer together.