Sample of glucose (C6H12O6) contains 0.75 moles of Oxygen

In summary, one mole of glucose contains 0.75 moles of oxygen and 1.5 moles of hydrogen. This is based on the ratio of 2:1 between the number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms in each molecule of glucose. The number of carbon atoms does not affect this ratio and can be disregarded when determining the number of moles of hydrogen in a sample of glucose.
chemister
A sample of glucose (C6H12O6) contains 0.75 moles of Oxygen. How many moles of hydrogen does this sample contain?

For this problem I was thinking that you might use some kind of ratio between hydrogen and oxygen, but I didn't quite know what to do with carbon?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you must use the ratio between the number of atoms of hydrogen to those of oxygen in each molecule of glucose. You have no reason to worry about carbon unless asked about it.

Each molecule has 12 H atoms and 6 O atoms. If there are 100 molecules of glucose, there will be 1200 H atoms and 600 O atoms. For any number n, if I have n molecules of glucose, I should have 12n H atoms and 6n O atoms. If n is the Avogadro number, I should have 12 moles of H atoms and 6 moles of O atoms. In short, there will always be twice as many moles of H atoms as there are O atoms.

To find the number of moles of hydrogen in the sample of glucose, we can use the chemical formula for glucose, which is C6H12O6. This formula tells us that for every 6 moles of carbon, there are 12 moles of hydrogen and 6 moles of oxygen. Since we know that the sample contains 0.75 moles of oxygen, we can set up a proportion to find the number of moles of hydrogen.

0.75 moles of oxygen / 6 moles of oxygen = x moles of hydrogen / 12 moles of hydrogen

Solving for x, we get:

x = (0.75 moles of oxygen * 12 moles of hydrogen) / 6 moles of oxygen = 1.5 moles of hydrogen

Therefore, the sample of glucose contains 1.5 moles of hydrogen. We don't need to consider the carbon in this calculation since we are only looking at the ratio between hydrogen and oxygen. I hope this helps!

1. What is the molar mass of glucose?

The molar mass of glucose (C6H12O6) is 180.16 g/mol.

2. How many moles of carbon are present in this sample of glucose?

There are 6 moles of carbon in one mole of glucose (C6H12O6).

3. How many atoms of oxygen are present in this sample of glucose?

There are 6 atoms of oxygen in one molecule of glucose (C6H12O6), so in 0.75 moles of glucose, there are 6 x 0.75 = 4.5 moles of oxygen atoms.

4. What is the mass of oxygen in this sample of glucose?

The mass of oxygen in 0.75 moles of glucose can be calculated using the molar mass of oxygen (16 g/mol) and the number of moles of oxygen atoms (4.5 moles). Thus, the mass of oxygen is 16 x 4.5 = 72 grams.

5. How does the mole concept apply to this sample of glucose?

The mole concept states that one mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, whether they are atoms, molecules, or ions. In this sample of glucose, there are 0.75 moles of oxygen atoms and 0.75 moles of carbon atoms, and 0.75 moles of oxygen molecules and 0.75 moles of glucose molecules.