General Relativity: Prove symmetry of Einstein tensor

In summary, George is trying to solve a homework problem involving the Ricci tensor and Ricci scalar, but he is having trouble linking the two equations using the required Riemann identity. He is not sure if the Ricci tensor is skew-symmetric in the first and second pair of indexes, when it is in fully covariant form. He also says that he would be OK if the last term in the equation for Rabcd were to vanish.
ck99

Homework Statement

Show that Gij = Gji using the Riemann tensor identity (below)

Homework Equations

Gij = Rij - 1/2(gijR)

Rabcd + Rbcad + Rcabd = 0

R = gmrRmr

Rmr = Rmnrn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to put the Ricci tensor and Ricci scalar (from the Gij equation) into full Riemann tensor form using the metric. For Gij I get

Rij = Rinjn = gnaRinja

gijR = gia gjb gab R = gia gjb Rab = gia gjb Ranbn = gia gjb gnd Ranbd

So Gij = ( gnaRinja - 1/2 gia gjb gnd Ranbd )

I have done the same for Gji but can't see how to link the two equations using the required Riemann identity. Is this the right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that the Ricci tensor is symmetric?

I know that the Riemann tensor is skew-symmetric in the first and second pair of indexes, when it is in fully covariant form. I'm not sure if that holds when it is in mixed form though?

I know that

Rabcd = -Rbacd and that Rabcd = -Rabdc

But I'm not sure if

Rabcd = -Rbacd and Rabcd = -Rabdc

Looking at the Ricci tensor, in order for Rmr = Rrm I would need

Rmnrn = Rrnmn

And I'm not sure how to swap indices between the first pair and second pair on Riemann. Do I need to go all the way back to the equation for Riemann in terms of Christoffels, and Christoffels from the metric? There must be a quicker way, this is a tiny bit of an exam question that should take 5 minutes!

ck99 said:
I know that

Rabcd = -Rbacd and that Rabcd = -Rabdc

But I'm not sure if

Rabcd = -Rbacd

Yes.
ck99 said:
and Rabcd = -Rabdc

No, indices need to have the same upstairs/downstairs locations on the both sides of an equation, i.e., if you raise the d on the left, then then d on the right should be raised. More explicitly,

[tex]R_{abcd} g^{de} = -R_{abdc}g^{de}[/tex]

ck99 said:
Looking at the Ricci tensor, in order for Rmr = Rrm I would need

Rmnrn = Rrnmn

And I'm not sure how to swap indices between the first pair and second pair on Riemann. Do I need to go all the way back to the equation for Riemann in terms of Christoffels, and Christoffels from the metric? There must be a quicker way, this is a tiny bit of an exam question that should take 5 minutes!

Raise the d in each term of

[tex]R_{abcd} + R_{bcad} + R_{cabd} = 0[/tex]

and contract with one of the other indices.

George Jones said:
Yes.

No, indices need to have the same upstairs/downstairs locations on the both sides of an equation, i.e., if you raise the d on the left, then then d on the right should be raised. More explicitly,

[tex]R_{abcd} g^{de} = -R_{abdc}g^{de}[/tex]

Raise the d in each term of

[tex]R_{abcd} + R_{bcad} + R_{cabd} = 0[/tex]

and contract with one of the other indices.

Thanks George, that helps a bit but I am still missing something. I tried

gbd(Rabcd + Rbcad + Rcabd) = 0

Rabcb + Rbcab + Rcabb = 0

Rabcb - Rcbab + Rcabb = 0

Rac - Rca + Rcabb = 0

So I would be OK if that last term were to vanish somehow! Can someone suggest where I go from here?

ck99 said:
So I would be OK if that last term were to vanish somehow! Can someone suggest where I go from here?

Put the g back in the last term, and look at it more carefully. g is symmetric in b and d, while the last term is antisymmetric in b and d.

Sorry for the delay, I had to work on some other stuff. I have tried your suggestion but I'm still not getting this :(

gbd(Rabcd + Rbcad + Rcabd) = 0

Rabcb + Rbcab + gbdRcabd = 0

Rabcb + Rbcab - gdbRcadb = 0

Rabcb - Rcbab - Rcadd = 0

Rac - Rca - Rcadd = 0

I'm not sure how that helps me. Have I done it right?

You need to show [itex]R_{cad}{}^d = 0[/itex], i.e, you need to show [itex]g^{db} R_{cadb} = 0[/itex].

g is symmetric in b and d, while [itex]R_{cadb}[/itex] is antisymmetric in b and d. b and d are both dummy indices, and so can be relabeled. Use these facts to show [itex]g^{db} R_{cadb} = 0[/itex].

I forgot to thank you for this George, I figured it out in the end (although it didn't come up in my exam!). Your help is much appreciated.

1. What is the Einstein tensor?

The Einstein tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of General Relativity. It is a combination of the metric tensor and its derivatives, which represents the curvature of spacetime.

2. What is symmetry in General Relativity?

In General Relativity, symmetry refers to the idea that the laws of physics should remain the same regardless of how an observer chooses to measure or describe them. This is also known as the principle of covariance.

3. How does the Einstein tensor prove symmetry?

The Einstein tensor is symmetric, meaning that its components are equal when interchanged. This symmetry is a direct consequence of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

4. Why is proving symmetry important in General Relativity?

Proving the symmetry of the Einstein tensor is important because it is a fundamental aspect of General Relativity. It helps to ensure that the theory is consistent and accurate in describing the behavior of gravity in the universe.

5. Are there any other ways to prove symmetry in General Relativity?

Yes, there are other ways to prove symmetry in General Relativity, such as using the principle of general covariance or applying the Bianchi identities. However, the Einstein tensor is the most commonly used method for proving symmetry in this theory.