Finding High-RPM Induction Motor for Flywheel System

In summary, -Me and my friend are starting a project to building a flywheel system with aim for energy storage.-One problem we face is finding a suitable motor, we plan to use induction motor to avoid eddy current lose, but most of the induction motor under 1kW has max rpm around 3500, a bit low for our purpose.-Is there cheap induction motor that can deliver 6000rpm or above?-provided we can ignore bearing friction, can we ramp up rpm by increasing drive frequency?-Also, we plan to rip out original bearing of the motor and connect the motor rotor to flywheel rotor with a shaft, both inside a vacuum. Would there be a heat diss
enroger0
Hi

Me and my friend is starting a project to building a flywheel system with aim for energy storage. This is a small budget experiment to see how long flywheel can hold energy with our design. One problem we face is finding a suitable motor, we plan to use induction motor to avoid eddy current lose, but most of the induction motor under 1kW has max rpm around 3500, a bit low for our purpose.

Is there cheap induction motor that can deliver 6000rpm or above?
provided we can ignore bearing friction, can we ramp up rpm by increasing drive frequency?

Also, we plan to rip out original bearing of the motor and connect the motor rotor to flywheel rotor with a shaft, both inside a vacuum. Would there be a heat dissipation problem to this approach?

Since I'm new to all this, any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can "overclock" motors of course:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=274133

running in a vacuum will create heat dissipation problems.

details will depend on your requirements - which are sparce right now. eg. if your flywheel is a millstone then you probably won't get a cheap motor to your specs but if it is a dime then it's probably easy.

To get a flywheel to store energy for a long time, you want to have it heavy with as much mass around the rim as you can get and minimize friction in the bearings: magnetic bearings for favorite.

Then you worry about spinning it up.
If you are having trouble fitting a motor to your design you can always fit the design to your motor. (Since this seems to be your biggest constraint.)

A lot of the parameters are not fixed yet, the only thing we're sure about it is its going to be low budget.

Yes, magnetic bearing is needed.

Another option I'm thinking is put the motor outside, then use magnetic coupling to drive the rotor, once the flywheel is spun up, we pull the motor away. But this could introduce a bigger problem that part of the vacuum wall would have to be non metal.

enroger0 said:
A lot of the parameters are not fixed yet, the only thing we're sure about it is its going to be low budget.

Yes, magnetic bearing is needed.

Another option I'm thinking is put the motor outside, then use magnetic coupling to drive the rotor, once the flywheel is spun up, we pull the motor away. But this could introduce a bigger problem that part of the vacuum wall would have to be non metal.

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but cheap and magnetic couplings don't go together.

http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/News--...nd-generation-high-speed-flywheel-technology/
http://www.flybridsystems.com/Technology.html

At low speeds like 6000 rpm, you don't need magnetic bearings or vacuum sealing or a magnetic coupling. It's just not worth it. Don't kid yourself that because it's not touching there is no losses. Magnetic bearings cause 'friction' by hysteresis.

Good oiled deep groove ball bearings and a well balanced flywheel are all you really need.

Last edited:
There's also fancy ceramics and polymers...
On the whole - the method you use to spin it up can wait until you have the rest of your design sorted out. You just have to allow for an interface. If your method has too-low rpm, you can gear it ... in principle you can rig any kind of motor provided it can turn the crank. But until you sort out the basic design the variables are too ... um ... variable.

Thanks for the replies guys, and those links are really helpful. I managed to find NEMA documents for "overclock"ing AC induction motor.

The current low rpm is just due to motor and material constraint, at this stage we just want to test if our magnetic bearing works (low energy lost for a period of time), hence all the fancy requirements about vacuum and motor, only when we eliminate other lose mechanisms can we determine the performance of the bearing.

Ceramic/steel bearings would be used as well, but only as backup when magnetic levitation is not stable.

1. What is the purpose of finding a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system?

The purpose of finding a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system is to provide a reliable and efficient source of rotational energy for a flywheel. This energy can then be stored and used for various applications, such as powering a vehicle or providing backup energy for a building.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system?

There are several factors that should be considered when selecting a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system. These include the size and weight of the flywheel, the desired speed and torque of the motor, and the power source for the motor.

3. How does the efficiency of a high-RPM induction motor affect the overall performance of a flywheel system?

The efficiency of a high-RPM induction motor is a crucial factor in the overall performance of a flywheel system. A more efficient motor will require less energy to operate, resulting in a longer-lasting and more reliable flywheel system.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system. These include proper installation and maintenance of the motor, ensuring that it is properly grounded, and following all safety precautions when operating the system.

5. Are there any alternative options to using a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system?

Yes, there are alternative options to using a high-RPM induction motor for a flywheel system. These include using other types of motors, such as DC motors or synchronous motors, or using a different type of energy storage system, such as batteries or capacitors.