Good thermodynamics text/videos?

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks and resources for studying thermodynamics. The individual is looking for a better textbook than "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" from Wiley publishing, which they feel has shortcomings in terms of example problems and connecting the science to practice. They ask for recommendations on other textbooks and resources, including video lectures, and mention their specific areas of interest in thermodynamics. The other person provides a list of textbooks they have found useful and suggests using Chegg for additional examples.
jehan60188
All,

Know of any thermodynamics text that's better than "fundamentals of engineering thermodynamics" From Wiley publishing?
Shortcomings- very few example problems, and I feel like it's missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. Like, there's a disconnect between the science and the practice of thermodynamics

I am willing to pound my head against a graduate level text, if that is what is necessary.

Any good video lectures?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've personally found "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" to be a good text for reference, what you need in my opinion is to work with the teacher/TA to understand the examples presented in the text.

What topics specifically are you having trouble with?

Like, there's a disconnect between the science and the practice of thermodynamics

I agree this is often the case.

What topics specifically are you having trouble with?

However I also agree with this since it is vitally important to know your area of interest in thermodynamics.

I guess I'm really looking for a reference textbook- like something I can keep on a shelf and refer to in the future if I'm developing something that requires a thermodynamic analysis
I mean, I know the basics of the energy rate balance; but if I need to assume that a compressor doesn't change the entropy of a fluid, I don't know what kind of assumptions I'll have to make.

I'm sorry, but that didn't tell me much other than you appear to want a textbook on compressors.

If you want a good answer you need to ask a good question.

Engineering or Physics viewpoint

If Engineering

Chemical plant engineering?, turbine?, Heatpump?, combustion engine? General mechanical? steam engine?

but then I'm doing your work for you.

If I asked this question about fluid dynamics, everyone tends to answer munson/young/okiishi. I'm looking for something like that. Or is thermodynamics more broad a field than fluid dynamics?

Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics are very different things although there is some common ground.

I am still at a loss to know exactly what you are seeking.

Anyway here is a list of books I have found useful

Basic Engineering Thermodynamics : Rayner Joel

Exactly what is says introductory to intermediate level for steam plant, refrigeration plant, IC engines, tubines etc

Engineering Thermodynamics, Work and Heat Transfer : Rogers and Mayhew

Intermediate to advanced as above. The UK engineers bible.

Essentials of Engineering Fluid Mechanics : Olsen

Slanted towards mechanical engineering fluids

Introduction to Heat Transfer : Incropera and DeWitt

Big book with lots of examples.

Concise Appplied Thermodynamics : Phillips and Owen-Jones

The opposite, very compact but contains lots of useful techniques and worked examples.

Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics : Smith and Van Ness

Good book with a Chem Eng slant

Transport Phenomena : Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot.

A brilliant book going from elementary to very advanced with a special blend of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.

awesome, thanks

The Wiley text is a really good one, and I liked using it in class. Have you considered using http://site.chegg.com/ so that you can get solutions to book problems and use those as additional examples? I agree that there aren't enough in the book alone, but I think there is a good variety of end of chapter problems that become examples when used with Chegg.

1. What are the key concepts covered in a good thermodynamics text or video?

A good thermodynamics text or video should cover the fundamental principles of thermodynamics, including the laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic processes, and thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and entropy.

2. What level of mathematics is required to understand a good thermodynamics text or video?

A good understanding of calculus and basic algebra is necessary to comprehend the mathematical equations and formulas used in thermodynamics. Some texts or videos may also require knowledge of differential equations.

3. How do I know if a thermodynamics text or video is reputable?

Look for texts or videos that are written by experts in the field of thermodynamics and published by reputable publishers or institutions. You can also check for reviews and ratings from other readers or viewers to determine the credibility of the source.

4. Are there any resources that can help me better understand thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many additional resources available such as practice problems, online tutorials, and study guides. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor who specializes in thermodynamics.

5. How can I apply the principles of thermodynamics in real-life scenarios?

Thermodynamics is applicable in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and environmental science. By understanding the principles, you can analyze and solve problems related to energy transfer, heat engines, and refrigeration systems, to name a few examples.