Calculate force to crush pipe.

• Thread starter zjn12385
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Pipe
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of weight necessary to crush a horizontally lying pipe and the point at which initial deformation occurs. The property in question is the yield strength, and the person would like to compare their findings with a manufacturer's specs. The dimensions of the pipe and the material are also provided. The force exerted on one pipe is estimated to be 29 lbs, but the use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is recommended for more accurate results. The book "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain" is mentioned as a resource for different geometries, but it does not cover the specific case described. A website is also suggested for further assistance.
zjn12385
What equation(s) do I use to calculate the weight necessary to crush a pipe lying horizontally on the ground and the point at which the initial deformation occurs. What is the name of this property? I'd like to compare my findings with a manufacturer's specs.

I have a 3000 lb weight resting flat on four plates. Each plate is resting on 30 pipes that are lying side by side horizontally. Assuming that the weight is square, that each plate is flush with a different corner of the weight, and that each plate is 4" x 15", what is the force exerting on one pipe?

Pipe Dimensions:
Length = 4"
Diameter = 0.5"
Wall Thickness = .0625"
Material = Steel

It's been awhile since I've done statics.:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
zjn12385 said:
What equation(s) do I use to calculate the weight necessary to crush a pipe lying horizontally on the ground and the point at which the initial deformation occurs. What is the name of this property? I'd like to compare my findings with a manufacturer's specs.

I have a 3000 lb weight resting flat on four plates. Each plate is resting on 30 pipes that are lying side by side horizontally. Assuming that the weight is square, that each plate is flush with a different corner of the weight, and that each plate is 4" x 15", what is the force exerting on one pipe?

Pipe Dimensions:
Length = 4"
Diameter = 0.5"
Wall Thickness = .0625"
Material = Steel

i think you are looking for the "yield strength" after which point deformation to the pipe is permanent.
You need an accurate description of the type of steel and it's modulus of elasticity.

I'd assume the force per pipe is 3,000lbs/4 plates/30 pipes per plate = ~29 lbs.
That is, if I understand correctly, that you have 30 pipes under each plate, so 120 pipes total.

This is a case for FEA. There's an excellent book out there called, "Roarks's Formulas for Stress and Strain." It has cases for a very wide variety of geometries. I'm unaware of the Roarks's book covering the case you describe.

Those who don't have access to FEA sometimes refer to books such as Roark's. Given that that case isn't in Roark's, then I reccomend FEA.

check this site out... it might help...

http://www.roscoemoss.com/calculations/calculation-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating force to crush a pipe?

The formula for calculating force to crush a pipe is F = A x P, where F is the force in pounds, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square inches, and P is the pressure in pounds per square inch.

2. How do I determine the cross-sectional area of a pipe?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe can be determined by using the formula A = π x (d/2)^2, where A is the cross-sectional area, π is the mathematical constant pi, and d is the diameter of the pipe.

3. What is the standard unit for force?

The standard unit for force is the Newton (N). In the formula for calculating force to crush a pipe, the unit of force is typically measured in pounds (lbs).

4. Can the pressure required to crush a pipe be determined using this formula?

Yes, the pressure required to crush a pipe can be determined by rearranging the formula to P = F/A. This will give you the pressure in pounds per square inch (psi).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force required to crush a pipe?

Yes, the force required to crush a pipe may also be influenced by the material and thickness of the pipe, as well as any external forces acting on the pipe, such as weight or impact. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may also be affected by factors such as temperature and material properties.