2 quick questions (Force vector questions

• Thread starter flawlessbrown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves two players kicking a soccer ball at the same time. One player applies a force of 100N[N25*W] and the 250g ball experiences an acceleration of 200m/s^2 [W15*S]. The task is to determine the magnitude and direction of the force applied by the second player. The solution involves finding the resultant force and subtracting the force applied by the first player. This is done by resolving the vectors into components and using the cosine rule. The final result is 104N[S3.3*W] as the force exerted by the second player on the ball.
flawlessbrown

Homework Statement

Two players kick a soccer ball at the same time. If one player applies a force of 100N[N25*W] and the 250g ball experiences an acceleration of 200m/s^2 [W15*S], determine the magnitude and direction of the force applied by the second player.

Homework Equations

Fnety=F1y+F2y
Fg= Mg
a=(Fx-Ff)/m
Fnet=0=Fn+Fsin45-Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that ##\vec{F}_{tot}=\vec{F}_1 + \vec{F}_2##

You are given ##\vec{F}_{tot}## and ##\vec{F}_1##, your task is to find ##\vec{F}_2## ... what's the problem?
Hint: how do you subtract two vectors?

Simon Bridge said:
You know that ##\vec{F}_{tot}=\vec{F}_1 + \vec{F}_2##

You are given ##\vec{F}_{tot}## and ##\vec{F}_1##, your task is to find ##\vec{F}_2## ... what's the problem?
Hint: how do you subtract two vectors?

I have Ftotal by using a= (fx-Ff)/m but the answer in my textbook says its 104N [S3.3*W] I have no idea how they got there. Because Ftotal is 50N based on the equation a= (fx-Ff)/m

I'm aware that the Mass times the Acceleration gives you to total force but I'm getting no where near 104

Last edited:
##\vec{F}_{tot}=m_b\vec{a} = (0.250\text{kg})(200\text{m}\cdot\text{s}^{-2} \text{ [W15*S]}) = 50\text{N [W15*S]}## ... is what I get. Notice that I used a different reasoning to you - and how I am being pedantic about the vectors having direction.

But ##\vec{F}_{tot}## is not what you are asked to find is it?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
##\vec{F}_{tot}=50\text{N [W15*S]}## ... is what I get. But Ftot is not what you are asked to find is it?

No, Thats the resultant force of the two. I'm asked to find the force exerted on the ball by the second player so its going to look something like 100N [N25*W]= Force of first soccer player

104N[S3.3*W] is the second players exerted force on the ball somehow (I checked the back of my textbook)

I have no idea how they got there

I even broke down the X & Y components of it to see if in the end it would give me 50N but to no avail

i did 100cos25+ 104cos3.3 = X
100sin25-104sin3.3=Y
(Because its in the opposite Y direction)

But i don't end up with 50 when i do Pythagorean theorem

I got √62+1032=103.17N
θ=ArcTan(6/103)=3.3°(S3.3W)

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
I got √62+1032=103.17N
θ=ArcTan(6/103)=3.3°(S3.3W)

What was your method? what did you do?

Last edited:
flawlessbrown said:
What were your vaules and what does each represent?

I'm guessing the 6 is your resultant Y?
Resultant of x is 50Cos15°
Force by first man is 100Sin25°

50Cos15°-100Sin25°

azizlwl said:
Resultant of X
50Cos15°-100Sin25°

why are you using 100"Sin"25 if its the x coordinate you are looking for? because you are adding them

flawlessbrown said:
why are you using 100"Sin"25 if its the x coordinate you are looking for? because you are adding them
If one player applies a force of 100N[N25*W]
-------------------

Start from pointing North and turn 25°(CCW) to the West(assume to be at pointing left).

The resultant is [W15*S], start at pointing West and rotate 15° to South.
F=ma=.250 x 200=50N

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
If one player applies a force of 100N[N25*W]
-------------------

Start from pointing North and turn 25°(CCW) to the West(assume to be at pointing left).

The resultant is [W15*S], start at pointing West and rotate 15° to South.
F=ma=.250 x 200=50N

I meant why are you using the SIN function, i was taught that you always use cos if you are doing X component and always use Sin for Y component, so i know why you used that force,

But why Sin function?

flawlessbrown said:
I meant why are you using the SIN function, i was taught that you always use cos if you are doing X component and always use Sin for Y component, so i know why you used that force,

But why Sin function?

It depends on which angle you choose.
Sinθ=Cos(90°-θ)

100Sin25°=100Cos65°

I'm having trouble understanding the addition part

Firstly you came up with 50 by doing the Ftotal=mass x acceleration I am assuming right?

Resultant x would then yes be 50cos15 but the force of the first dude is 100N[N25*W] how are you to know to assume to use SIN ?

2958rqq.jpg

terrible but rough drawing

Last edited:
To understand the method ... draw the vectors head-to-tail - only for a vector subtraction rather than a vector addition. The trick with subtraction is to realize that it is the same thing as addition by a negative number - and a negative vector points the opposite way.

So you are doing:
##\vec{F}_2 = \vec{F}_{tot} - \vec{F}_1 = \vec{F}_{tot} + (^-\vec{F}_1)##

You just add ##\vec{F}_{tot}## to ##^-\vec{F}_1##, both of which you know, in the normal way that you add vectors.
Actually draw the vectors to see the geometry.

If you don't know how to do vector addition then that's another problem.
(Resolve vectors into N-S and E-W components.)

Yes i know how to add vectors... I'm pretty sure i wouldn't get a question like this for homework if i didnt

Yes i know how to add vectors... I'm pretty sure i wouldn't get a question like this for homework if i didn't
:)

In which case you also know how to subtract vectors.

I'm having trouble understanding the addition part
So the main issue is actually geometry?

This is what I was trying to get you to talk about before. I would have liked to see your attempt to subtract vectors before continuing.

Some people find that they work better if they change compass directions into x-y directions - and put all angles anticlockwise from the x axis. That way you just remember that the x component is the cosine and the y component is the sine.

However - it is more powerful to be able to just look at the diagram and choose the angles you want to use. Here's an example:

If a force X is magnitude a, angle A south of due west, then there is a component pointing to the west which has magnitude acos(A) and a component pointing south which has magnitude asin(A).

If another force Y is magnitude b, angle B west of due south, then force (-Y) has the same magnitude pointing in the opposite direction - east of due north. That gives (-Y) a component bcos(B) to the north and bsin(B) to the east.

X-Y= X+(-Y) = [acos(A)-bsin(B)]W + [bcos(B)-asin(A)]N

It is confusing unless you clearly sketch the diagram.

Once you have the triangle of the vectors you are adding - the rest should be a matter of choosing the method. There are many ways: you don't have to resolve into components. You could use the cosine rule to get the magnitude, for eg, and the sine rule to get the angle.

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a force, which includes both the magnitude and direction of the force. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a force vector?

The magnitude of a force vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude squared is equal to the sum of the squares of the components of the vector. Alternatively, if the angle between the vector and one of the axes is known, the magnitude can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a force vector and a displacement vector?

A force vector represents a physical force acting on an object, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object. While both can be represented by arrows, a force vector has a magnitude and direction that correspond to a physical quantity, while a displacement vector only has a magnitude and direction that correspond to a change in position.

4. Can a force vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a force vector can have a negative magnitude if it is acting in the opposite direction of a positive vector. This simply indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction.

5. How are force vectors used in physics?

Force vectors are used in physics to represent the physical forces acting on objects. They are used to calculate the net force on an object, which is essential for understanding the motion of objects. Force vectors are also used in vector addition and subtraction to determine the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object.