Affordable Physics Labs: Teaching Forces & Friction with Everyday Items

• Thread starter superdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, the speaker is a student teacher in a poor school with a limited physics program and inadequate lab equipment. They are trying to set up a lab on forces and friction, but lack common tools like tape timers. They ask for suggestions on conducting the lab with a small budget or everyday items. Two resources, a physics fundamentals kit from PASCO and a video physics program from Vernier, are mentioned. The speaker also suggests using an inclined plane covered in sandpaper to measure the coefficient of friction for different objects. They note the important finding that the angle at which motion begins is not affected by the weight of the object.
superdave
So I'm student teaching right now in a poor school with a physics program less than 3 years old. The lab equipment is not great.

So I'm trying to set up a lab on forces, friction, etc... but there is not a lot of the stuff I'm used to using like the tape timers to measure acceleration. But we don't have those.

So what can I do on a small budget or with every day items?

Science news on Phys.org
Since the coefficient of (kinetic) friction can be measured with an inclined plane, why not cover a board with sandpaper and have the students measure the inclination angles for a range of objects: metal, wood, plastic...

One important result is that the angle at which motion begins is independent of the weight of the sliding object.

What are "Labs with everyday items"?

"Labs with everyday items" are scientific experiments or investigations that use common household items instead of specialized laboratory equipment. These labs allow for hands-on learning and can be done at home or in a classroom setting.

What are the benefits of "Labs with everyday items"?

"Labs with everyday items" have several benefits, such as making science more accessible and affordable, promoting creativity and critical thinking, and providing a practical understanding of scientific concepts.

What types of experiments can be done using everyday items?

There are countless experiments that can be done using everyday items, including creating lava lamps with oil and water, making a lemon battery, and testing the effects of different liquids on plant growth. The possibilities are endless!

Can "Labs with everyday items" be used for all ages?

Yes, "Labs with everyday items" can be tailored to different age groups and levels of scientific understanding. Young children can participate in simple experiments, while older students can engage in more complex investigations.

Where can I find ideas for "Labs with everyday items"?

There are many online resources and books available with ideas for "Labs with everyday items". You can also get creative and come up with your own experiments using household items and materials. Just remember to always follow safety guidelines and have adult supervision when needed.