HUB & accurate single measurement

In summary, the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation is a relation between two quantities that are uncertain, and the measurement-disturbance is the influence that one of the quantities has on the other.
MHD93
Hello,

I recently read some texts which says that in a SINGLE measurement you can measure position and momentum to an arbitrary accuracy, assuring that that's not what HUB talks about.

That confuses me, because I learned that HUB is there NOT simply because some property of QM prevents us from knowing them simultaneously accurately, BUT BECAUSE the particle really don't have such things as position and momentum at the same time... ... I'm confused... HELP me!

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't have definite position and momentum BEFORE a measurement. But it doesn't mean that when you make the measurement, you can't make it with arbitrary accuracy. There's nothing to prevent you from making as accurate of a single measurement of those values, other than the technological limit of your instrument.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4364

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's take the double slit experiment, you want to measure position and momentum when it's at the slit, say.
This is all before the measurement (that is, when the electron hits the screen).

or you mean the particle determines to have a specific past when you measure it in the present, ?

Mohammad_93 said:
Let's take the double slit experiment, you want to measure position and momentum when it's at the slit, say.
This is all before the measurement (that is, when the electron hits the screen).

or you mean the particle determines to have a specific past when you measure it in the present, ?

Do you know what those [itex]\Delta[/itex]'s mean in the HUP? They correspond to the variance and standard deviation of a value.

So what are the variance/standard deviation of ONE single measurement?

You are also now confusing superposition principle with the HUP by bringing up the double slit.

Zz.

Excuse me, I meant a single slit whose width determines the accuracy of position measurement..

So again, can we measure position and momentum at the slit at a later time?

Mohammad_93 said:
Excuse me, I meant a single slit whose width determines the accuracy of position measurement..

So again, can we measure position and momentum at the slit at a later time?

"momentum at the slit"?

The location of the slit is the "position". The width of the slit is the uncertainty in position.

AFTER it passed through the slit, you THEN measure its transverse momentum (i.e. momentum in the same direction as the slit's width).

I have no idea where this is going. However, this is all MOOT if you simply answer my question regarding the definition of each of the values in the HUP.

Zz.

Perhaps this is what you refer to:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=664972&highlight=Uncertainty+relation

It's about spin measurements, but the principle difference between the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation and the measurement-disturbance should become very clear. Ironically this misinterpretation of the Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation as the disturbance of one observable by the measurement of another incompatible observable goes back to Heisenberg's very first publication of the subject and has been corrected already by Bohr shortly after that publication.

It seems to be a common manifestation of Murphy's Law that the rare occasions where great minds publish a mistake the wrong implications stick, particularly in the textbook literature, often even enhanced by educationalists of sciene. :devil: A notorious example it the claim that the photoeffect would be evidence for the particle nature of the electromagnetic field and thus the existence of photons. This you even read in university texts and in very recent publications in journals on didactics of physics!

What is a HUB?

A HUB, or head-up display, is a transparent display that presents data without requiring users to look away from their usual viewpoints.

What is the purpose of a HUB?

The purpose of a HUB is to provide important information to users in a convenient and non-distracting way, allowing them to keep their focus on the task at hand.

How does a HUB provide accurate single measurements?

A HUB uses sensors and algorithms to capture and process data, resulting in accurate single measurements that are displayed on the transparent display in real-time.

What are the benefits of using a HUB for accurate single measurements?

Using a HUB for accurate single measurements eliminates the need for users to constantly reference separate devices or papers, increasing efficiency and reducing the potential for errors.

Are there any limitations to using a HUB for accurate single measurements?

While a HUB can provide accurate single measurements, it may be limited by external factors such as lighting conditions or the accuracy of the sensors and algorithms used.