Why is fluid velocity unaffected by a change of pipe roughness here?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why changing the roughness of a pipe does not affect the velocity of the fluid flowing through it. The answer is that since flow rate (Q) is equal to velocity (V) times cross-sectional area (A), if Q remains constant, then V must also remain constant. This is because the simulations being run assume a constant flow rate, meaning that V is a constant that is satisfied based on the given cross-sectional area. The conversation also briefly mentions the Darcy-Weisbach equations, which include coefficients for friction and roughness, but ultimately still take velocity as a constant.
cdux
I had no luck in the coursework forums though I guess the question becomes simpler if I state it the way I did here.

Assuming no complex network, or just a single pipe first feeding the network, why do the speeds in the pipe and even the rest of the network pipes remain unaffected if I change the roughness of that first pipe? The pressures do change.

I guess I need the basic answer which I'm sure is simple so I can then expand to a very rational explanation that will make me remember it because the way I think of it now, it's a bit unclear how roughness can keep velocities unaffected (in a non-part-of-a-branch, single pipe scenario).

Physics news on Phys.org
OK I got an answer from somewhere, but I still can't get it to hold still in my head.

The answer is basically that since Q = V * A then V remains the same since Q is the same (and A).

Now, how can I make that make sense when also thinking of roughness as irrelevant?

edit: Basically how can Q remain the same? hrm.. I'm probably trapped in a circular logic that is totally wrong but I'm not sure exactly how.

Now I'm thinking of Darcy–Weisbach et al. complex equations and I can't figure out how while they do include coefficients for friction/roughness, they just take velocity for granted as stable (if the above is true).

Ah, I think I got somewhere. In the simulations I was running, I guess whatever output is entered, "it must be supplied", hence Q is taken as a hard-constant no matter what hence V is satisfied to a constant based on that, provided same cross section.

Or at least that's how far I got.

The roughness of a pipe refers to the surface texture or irregularities on the inner walls of the pipe. These roughness elements can cause frictional resistance to the flow of fluid, which can affect the pressure within the pipe. However, the velocity of the fluid is not directly affected by the roughness of the pipe.

This is because the velocity of a fluid is determined by the pressure gradient within the pipe, which is the difference in pressure between two points. In a single pipe scenario, the pressure gradient is determined by the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet of the pipe. The roughness of the pipe does not change this pressure gradient, so the velocity of the fluid remains the same.

In other words, the roughness of the pipe may cause a change in pressure, but it does not change the overall pressure difference that drives the flow of fluid. Therefore, the velocity of the fluid remains unaffected by the change in pipe roughness.

Additionally, the roughness of a pipe can only have a significant impact on the velocity of the fluid if the pipe is very long or if the fluid is highly viscous. In most practical scenarios, the length of the pipe and the viscosity of the fluid are not significant enough to cause a noticeable change in velocity due to roughness.

1. How does pipe roughness affect fluid velocity?

Pipe roughness can affect fluid velocity by causing friction between the fluid and the pipe walls. This friction can slow down the fluid's movement, resulting in a decrease in velocity.

2. Why does fluid velocity remain constant even when pipe roughness changes?

The roughness of a pipe can affect the velocity of a fluid in laminar flow, but in turbulent flow, the fluid velocity remains relatively constant. This is because in turbulent flow, the fluid moves in chaotic and unpredictable patterns, resulting in a constant average velocity despite changes in pipe roughness.

3. Is it possible for a change in pipe roughness to increase fluid velocity?

In some cases, a change in pipe roughness can actually increase fluid velocity. This happens when the roughness creates small vortices or eddies in the flow, which can increase the mixing of the fluid and result in a higher average velocity.

4. How does fluid viscosity affect the relationship between pipe roughness and velocity?

Fluid viscosity plays a significant role in the relationship between pipe roughness and velocity. In highly viscous fluids, the effect of pipe roughness on velocity is more significant, as the fluid has a stronger resistance to flow and is more affected by friction from the rough pipe walls.

5. Can pipe roughness affect the accuracy of flow rate measurements?

Yes, pipe roughness can affect the accuracy of flow rate measurements. If the pipe roughness is not taken into account, the measured flow rate may be overestimated due to increased friction and turbulence in the flow. This can lead to inaccurate calculations and predictions in fluid dynamics studies.