Need advice on capturing sound

In summary: Audio spectrum analyzers are available for purchase or rent. They can be used to identify the acoustic signature of a mechanical object and to determine when that signature has changed. There are also apps available that can do basic audio spectrum analysis.
baketrab
I am looking to find a way to monitor a mechanical objects noise frequency. The end result would be the ability to see when the sound changes.

Here's my thought process:

A mechanical object that is making repetitious movements, would generate a particular 'sound' or 'frequency' within a particular range, on a consistent basis. If that objects signature changes, that would indicate a change in the object creating the sound.

So what type of equipment could be purchased, made, designed to facilitate capturing the 'signature/sound/frequency' I am looking for?

I never got too involved with sounds/frequency so I'm not sure what terminology to use here either.

Any advice on where to look, what to look for, or even the proper terminology to use would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
baketrab said:
I am looking to find a way to monitor a mechanical objects noise frequency. The end result would be the ability to see when the sound changes.

Here's my thought process:

A mechanical object that is making repetitious movements, would generate a particular 'sound' or 'frequency' within a particular range, on a consistent basis. If that objects signature changes, that would indicate a change in the object creating the sound.

So what type of equipment could be purchased, made, designed to facilitate capturing the 'signature/sound/frequency' I am looking for?

I never got too involved with sounds/frequency so I'm not sure what terminology to use here either.

Any advice on where to look, what to look for, or even the proper terminology to use would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

The keywords here are "audio spectrum analyzer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_analyzer

You can even get smartphone apps that will do basic audio spectrum analysis...

You may find it useful to research how others have already done (and are doing) what you're asking about. We can measure the "acoustic signature" of a submarine in such detail so as to identify the name and number of that particular submarine.

Here are two applications using acoustics to monitor mechanical/biological systems:

Spectral Analysis of Acoustic Vibrations on the Surface of the Human Body
http://www.zainea.com/humanvibrations.htm

Sound Recognition Lab (SRLab) is an interactive pattern-formation and pattern-recognition application for acoustics. It is made for engineers and researchers who deal with complex acoustic systems and/or large quantities of audio data in:
Industrial automation
Animal bioacoustics
Medical bioacoustics
Noise analysis
Phonetics and neuro-science
http://www.sejona.org/srlab.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to sell anything but Fluke makes a Vibration Analyzer that does just about what you were asking.
It's called the Fluke 810, there are videos on youtube showing it in operation, we use it at my facility to monitor electric motor bearings for failure, very nice unit. Capable. Not cheap though.
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/vibration/fluke-810.htm?PID=56137

Another predictive maintenance baseline procedure that also works is thermo recordings. Take a infra red camera record the working temperatures. Increase of those temperatures indicate failures such as bad bearings etc. This can also be used on circuit breakers, if the circuit is 10 degrees above the room temperature its an indication of too large an amperage draw on that ciurcuit. Wortks on electronics as well.

What equipment do I need to capture sound?

To capture sound, you will need a microphone, an audio interface, and recording software. The type and quality of each of these components will depend on the specific sound you want to capture and your budget.

What is the best microphone for recording sound?

The best microphone for recording sound depends on the type of sound you want to capture. For general use, a condenser microphone is a good choice. However, if you want to capture specific types of sound, such as vocals or instruments, you may need a specialized microphone.

How do I position my microphone for optimal sound capture?

The ideal position for your microphone will depend on the type of sound you want to capture. Generally, it is best to place the microphone close to the sound source, at a distance of 6-12 inches. Experiment with different positions to find the best sound.

What is the best way to reduce background noise while recording sound?

To reduce background noise while recording sound, you can use soundproofing materials in your recording space, such as acoustic foam or sound blankets. You can also use a directional microphone to pick up more of the desired sound and less of the background noise.

How do I edit and enhance my recorded sound?

To edit and enhance your recorded sound, you can use audio editing software such as Audacity or Adobe Audition. This will allow you to cut, mix, and add effects to your sound to achieve the desired result. It is also important to properly level and equalize your sound to ensure a balanced and professional sound.