Static friction between two stacked blocks a 3rd law pair?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of static friction and its effects on two stationary blocks, A and B. The question arises whether the reaction force from static friction on A also applies to B, and if B can have static friction acting in both directions. The concept of action and reaction pairs is also brought up, and how they may or may not cancel out in this scenario. Further questions are posed regarding how the situation would change if the blocks were nailed together and if they were moving at a constant velocity.
jmoney
I'm trying to get my head around this scenario:

2yjrmfs.png

The blocks are at rest, despite the tension forces acting on them.
It is obvious that the static friction acting on A from B is 20N to the right for A to remain at rest (the max might be a lot higher).

But does this produce an equal and opposite reaction on B? It seems to me that the static friction should have some reaction... but it also seems silly to think that A could exert a leftward force on B when A isn't even moving.

Are the forces acting on B (before possible floor friction)
20N <--- B --> 5N or just B--->5N

Thank you, and I hope I have been clear enough! This is my first post on this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
it also seems silly to think that A could exert a leftward force on B when A isn't even moving.
Why "silly"?

You are told that the blocks are stationary?
Than means the net force on A is zero ... so what are the forces on A?

Note: if the forces are not strong enough to overcome static friction - doesn't that mean the two blocks are stuck together?

Okay, "silly" was a poor choice. I think that the static force from B to A that holds A in place applies an opposite force on B.

Assuming that is the case, and they're stationary:

A is stationary because the vertical net force is Fn-Fg=0, and horizontally because of Fsf-Ft=0.
B is also stationary, the vertical forces are Fn(floor)-Fn(A)-Fg=0,
horizontally: Ft-Fsf(reaction from A)=-15, but it must be 0.
So there is either 15N of static friction from the floor, or, there could be another static force that is keeping B from moving left; and the floor could be frictionless in that case.

Would the reaction force from the static friction acting on A still be considered static friction for B? Can B have static friction acting in both directions?

Last edited:
jmoney said:
Would the reaction force from the static friction acting on A still be considered static friction for B?
Sure. Think of the friction force as an interaction between two objects: A and B exert a static friction force on each other.

Can B have static friction acting in both directions?
Why not? The two friction forces acting on B would act on different surfaces.

Additional notes:
1. friction of A on B and friction of B on A are not action/reaction pairs.
2. how does the situation change if the blocks were nailed together?
3. if the blocks were not stationary - but both moving with the same constant velocity wrt the floor - how would that change your analysis?

Simon Bridge said:
Additional notes:
Why do you say that?

Could be a source of the puzzlement ... 3rd-law pairs don't cancel out.

Simon Bridge said:
Could be a source of the puzzlement ... 3rd-law pairs don't cancel out.
True. But why did you say:
Simon Bridge said:
Additional notes:

I was hoping to get something like your response - with details, from OP.
On reflection... it may have been more effective to direct that the AB force does not cancel the BA force.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary objects from sliding past each other when a force is applied to one of the objects. It is a type of friction that occurs when there is no relative motion between the two objects.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two objects are stationary, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the two objects. Additionally, the force of static friction is usually greater than the force of kinetic friction.

3. What causes static friction between two stacked blocks?

The molecules on the surface of the two blocks interact with each other and create a force that resists the motion between the two blocks. This force is known as static friction.

4. How does the weight of the blocks affect the static friction between them?

The weight of the blocks affects the normal force between them, which in turn affects the force of static friction. The greater the weight of the blocks, the greater the normal force and the force of static friction.

5. Can the force of static friction be greater than the force applied to the blocks?

Yes, the force of static friction can be greater than the force applied to the blocks. This occurs when the applied force is not strong enough to overcome the force of static friction, resulting in the two blocks remaining stationary.