TE Waves in Rectangular Wave Guide

In summary, the boundary conditions for the magnetic field in a perfect conductor are derived from the fact that there is no magnetic monopole and the magnetic field is divergenceless. This leads to the normal component of the magnetic field being continuous at the boundary, while the tangential component is parallel to the surface. Therefore, along the x-axis and y-axis, the tangential components of the magnetic field are equal to zero.
unscientific
Hi guys I'm having difficulty understanding why the boundary conditions lead to dX/dx = 0.

Why must Bx = 0 at x = 0 and x = a?

jt5vr5.png

Physics news on Phys.org
B_n is continuous at a boundary, and B=0 inside a perfect conductor (which is assumed for these equations).
Therefor B_n=0 just outside the conductor.

And that is arisen from the fact that there is no magnetic dipole, i.e., the magnetic field is divergenceless. You can derive the continuity of the normal component of the magnetic field on the boundary by imaging a small pillbox on the boundary. Maybe Griffiths already described in Chap 5.

buoyant said:
And that is arisen from the fact that there is no magnetic dipole,
I know you meant monopole.

Thanks Achuz for noticing my mistake

Meir Achuz said:
B_n is continuous at a boundary, and B=0 inside a perfect conductor (which is assumed for these equations).
Therefor B_n=0 just outside the conductor.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. If B_n is perpendicular to surface and = 0, then won't Bx = 0 and By = 0 along y-axis and x-axis correspondingly

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Sorry, I don't get what you mean. If B_n is perpendicular to surface and = 0, then won't Bx = 0 and By = 0

Only the normal component is continuous.. so B is parallel to surface at the boundary.

scoobmx said:
Only the normal component is continuous.. so B is parallel to surface at the boundary.

Yes, so along x-axis, By = 0, and along y-axis, Bx = 0?

Yes...

1. What are TE waves in rectangular waveguides?

TE (transverse electric) waves are electromagnetic waves that propagate through a rectangular waveguide. These waves have an electric field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation and do not have any magnetic field components along the direction of propagation.

2. How do TE waves propagate in a rectangular waveguide?

TE waves propagate in a rectangular waveguide by reflecting off the walls of the waveguide. These reflections cause the waves to travel in a zig-zag path, known as the transverse resonant mode, until they reach the other end of the waveguide.

3. What is the cutoff frequency for TE waves in a rectangular waveguide?

The cutoff frequency for TE waves in a rectangular waveguide is the lowest frequency at which a TE wave can propagate through the waveguide. Below this frequency, the wave will be attenuated and will not propagate through the waveguide.

4. How are TE waves excited in a rectangular waveguide?

TE waves can be excited in a rectangular waveguide by using a feeding mechanism, such as a probe or a loop antenna. This mechanism injects the electric field into the waveguide, which then propagates in the transverse resonant mode.

5. What are the applications of TE waves in rectangular waveguides?

TE waves in rectangular waveguides have various applications in microwave engineering, such as in satellite communications, radar systems, and microwave circuit components. They are also used in high-frequency measurements and as transmission lines for high-power microwave devices.