Seemingly simple multiple integral substitution

In summary, the student is trying to find x and y for a multiple integral problem, but is stuck due to difficulties expressing x and y in terms of u and v. They have tried various methods, but have not been able to find a simple method. They have solved the integral for v by finding the jacobian, and then using the fact that the inverse of the jacobian is the determinant of the inverse of the matrix of derivatives of u and v. They have also solved for y by multiplying by x2 and solving for x2.
raving_lunatic

Homework Statement

This problem seems fine but has me stumped for some reason...

For the variables

u=x2−y2
v= x y

Under the condition u>0
We're simply asked to determine x(u,v) and y(u,v) so that we can eventually use them to solve a multiple integral by substitution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a number of different methods - for example, trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions for x and y, various linear and quadratic combinations of u and v, etc. - and for some reason I can't find a simple way of expressing x and y in terms of u and v. I noticed that if you let z=x+yi then R(z2)=u and I(z2)=2v, but I'm not sure how this helps. I know there's something really simple I must be overlooking, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can actually solve the integral they gave us - which is pretty easy - just by finding the jacobian d(u,v)/d(x,y) and using the fact that this is the inverse of the Jacobian d(x,y)/d(u,v) without ever explicitly determining the function in terms of u and v - doing it this way, nice factors in the integrand cancel out, which I'm guessing was the point of the question - but I still can't find x (u,v) and y (u,v).

Physics news on Phys.org
raving_lunatic said:

Homework Statement

For the variables

u=x2−y2
v= x y

Under the condition u>0
We're simply asked to determine x(u,v) and y(u,v) so that we can eventually use them to solve a multiple integral by substitution.

Homework Equations

I've tried a number of different methods - for example, trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions for x and y, various linear and quadratic combinations of u and v, etc. - and for some reason I can't find a simple way of expressing x and y in terms of u and v. I noticed that if you let z=x+yi then R(z2)=u and I(z2)=2v, but I'm not sure how this helps. I know there's something really simple I must be overlooking, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can actually solve the integral they gave us - which is pretty easy - just by finding the jacobian d(u,v)/d(x,y) and using the fact that this is the inverse of the Jacobian d(x,y)/d(u,v) without ever explicitly determining the function in terms of u and v - doing it this way, nice factors in the integrand cancel out, which I'm guessing was the point of the question - but I still can't find x (u,v) and y (u,v).

Authors sometimes put problems like that in their homework problems. Your specific problem worked without you ever having to solve explicitly for x and y because the problem was cooked up to work that way. So you are correct; that was the point of the question. Don't waste your time trying to work it the hard way.

raving_lunatic said:

Homework Statement

For the variables

u=x2−y2
v= x y

Under the condition u>0

Homework Equations

Solve v = xy for y (or for x if you rather).
Then plug that into the equation for u .

Multiplying by x2 gives a quadratic in x2 .

Solve that for x2 .

Either substitution or elimination, whichever you prefer...

Sorry LC Kurtz and others - maybe I didn't make it clear - expressing x and y in terms of u and v was a part of the problem that we were explicitly asked to do - which seemed strange because it wasn't necessary, under normal circumstances I'd tackle the integral straight away

The quadratic in x^2 method seems like it will give me what I want (and explains the restriction u > 0 which will probably force us to take the positive root)

Just a little irritating to have to do things the long way around - spent way too long on some ultimately unnecessary algebra

Thanks for all your help

Yea, it is unnecessary for this problem, but there will be times when it's not. Look at it as practice for those times.

1. What is multiple integral substitution?

Multiple integral substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals with more than one variable. It involves substituting a new variable in place of the original variables in the integral, making it easier to solve.

2. When is multiple integral substitution used?

Multiple integral substitution is used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is complicated and cannot be integrated directly. It is also used when the integrand contains multiple variables and the integral cannot be solved using other methods.

3. What are the steps to perform a multiple integral substitution?

The steps to perform a multiple integral substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the innermost integral and choose a new variable to substitute for it.
  2. Integrate the innermost integral with respect to the new variable.
  3. Substitute the original variable back into the resulting expression.
  4. Repeat the process for the remaining integrals, using new variables each time.

4. What are the benefits of using multiple integral substitution?

Multiple integral substitution allows for the simplification of complex integrals, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of other integration techniques, such as u-substitution, to solve the integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using multiple integral substitution?

Yes, there are limitations to using multiple integral substitution. It can only be used when the integrand is continuous and the integral limits are finite. It is also not always possible to find a suitable substitution that will simplify the integral.