I need a little help attacking a problem

• Thread starter arkssd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to approach a problem involving a skydiver jumping out of a plane and finding air friction at different positions, change in acceleration, and change in velocity. One person suggests using Newton's second law and solving for the drag force, while another points out the need for absolute value in the equation due to air resistance. They also mention the importance of normalizing units and solving for the initial value conditions.
arkssd
hello,

what would be the best way to approach this problem

A skydiver is jumping out of a plane at :

Initial velocity = 100 mph

Initial position = 2000 m

acceleration due to gravity = -9.81

I need help finding air friction at different positions, change in acceleration and change in velocity ?

i think u calculate air friction
A= f * v * v(abs) * cd

A= acceleration

f= atmospheric pressure

v= velocity

s= surface area

cd= drag coefficient

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start off with Newton's 2nd Law (For constant mass) in scalar form:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} F_{i} = ma [/tex]

rewrite it as

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} F_{i} = m \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

or

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} F_{i} = m \frac{d^{2} x}{dt^{2}} [/tex]

And solve the ODEs formed

arkssd said:
hello,

what would be the best way to approach this problem

A skydiver is jumping out of a plane at :

Initial velocity = 100 mph

Initial position = 2000 m

acceleration due to gravity = -9.81

I need help finding air friction at different positions, change in acceleration and change in velocity ?

i think u calculate air friction
A= f * v * v(abs) * cd

A= acceleration

f= atmospheric pressure

v= velocity

s= surface area

cd= drag coefficient

the general form of that equation looks familiar, but isn't it actually:

[tex]F(v) = c \rho A v^2[/tex]

where [itex]A[/tex] is the surface area? Acceleration would then be:

[tex]a(v) = \frac{c \rho A v^2}{m} = \frac{c \rho A}{m} ({\frac{dx}{dt}})^2[/tex]

integrating with respect to time will give the velocity as a function of time, but this is a 2nd order DE so you need to solve the DE and plug in your initial value conditions.

Not really II-nd order.Use Newton's second law in vector and the definition of linear momentum.

Daniel.

Normalize your units first off.

There's no atmospheric pressure in the drag force,just the air's density...

Daniel.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
the general form of that equation looks familiar, but isn't it actually:

[tex]F(v) = c \rho A v^2[/tex]

where [itex]A[/tex] is the surface area? Acceleration would then be:

[tex]a(v) = \frac{c \rho A v^2}{m} = \frac{c \rho A}{m} ({\frac{dx}{dt}})^2[/tex]

integrating with respect to time will give the velocity as a function of time, but this is a 2nd order DE so you need to solve the DE and plug in your initial value conditions.
Nope, this is false; air resistance always works in the opposite direction of the velocity; that's why you need the absolute value sign here.

1. How do I approach a problem that I am struggling with?

When facing a problem, it's important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main goal or objective of the problem and brainstorming potential solutions. Then, prioritize the solutions and test them out to see which one is most effective.

2. What are some strategies for attacking a problem?

Some strategies for attacking a problem include defining the problem clearly, gathering relevant information, and brainstorming potential solutions. It's also helpful to seek input from others and to consider multiple perspectives. Additionally, breaking the problem down into smaller parts and testing out different solutions can be effective strategies.

3. How can I stay organized while tackling a problem?

To stay organized while tackling a problem, it can be helpful to create a plan or outline of the steps you will take to solve the problem. This will help you stay on track and ensure that you don't miss any important steps. It's also important to keep track of any relevant information or data that you gather during the problem-solving process.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a problem?

If you get stuck while trying to solve a problem, take a step back and try to look at the problem from a different perspective. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh mind. Additionally, seeking input from others or doing some additional research can provide new insights and ideas.

5. How do I know when I have successfully solved a problem?

You will know when you have successfully solved a problem when you have achieved the desired outcome or goal. This could be in the form of reaching a solution, finding a workaround, or implementing a strategy that effectively addresses the problem. It's important to also reflect on the process and learn from any challenges or mistakes encountered during the problem-solving process.