Calculating Honeybee's Electrostatic Charge: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter hotstuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, a honeybee in active flight can acquire an electrostatic charge of 93 pC, which is equivalent to 5.807 x 10^14 electrons being transferred. This can be calculated using the formula f=k e and knowing the charge on one electron.
hotstuff
Measurements show that a honeybee in active flight can acquire an electrostatic charge as great as 93.0 pC.
Q1 is How many electrons must be transferred to produce this charge?
my proposed ans using the formula f=k e
after rearranging equation e= 93pC * ./8.99 *10^9 = ?(the ans)
but i do not know what pC unit is and not sure if doing right. pls point me in the right direction. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hotstuff said:
Measurements show that a honeybee in active flight can acquire an electrostatic charge as great as 93.0 pC.
Q1 is How many electrons must be transferred to produce this charge?
my proposed ans using the formula f=k e
after rearranging equation e= 93pC * ./8.99 *10^9 = ?(the ans)
but i do not know what pC unit is and not sure if doing right. pls point me in the right direction. thanks
[tex] \mbox{93 picoCoulombs} \ = \ 93 \, \times \, 10^{-12} \ Coulombs [/tex]
[tex] \mbox{charge on 1 electron} \ = \ 1.602 \, \times \, 10^{-19} \ Coulombs [/tex]
[tex] \mbox{number electrons transferred} \ = \ \frac{93 \, \times \, 10^{-12} \ Coulombs}{1.602 \, \times \, 10^{-19} \ Coulombs} [/tex]

The unit pC stands for picocoulombs, which is a unit of electric charge equal to 10^-12 coulombs. To solve this problem, we can use the formula Q = Ne, where Q is the total charge in coulombs, N is the number of electrons, and e is the elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs). So, to find the number of electrons needed to produce an electrostatic charge of 93.0 pC, we can rearrange the equation to N = Q/e. Plugging in the values, we get N = 93.0 pC / (1.6 x 10^-19 C) = 5.81 x 10^17 electrons. This means that approximately 581 trillion electrons must be transferred to produce an electrostatic charge of 93.0 pC on a honeybee in active flight. Hope this helps!

1. How do I figure out the problem I am facing?

To figure out a problem, it is important to first identify the specific issue you are facing. This can be done by breaking down the problem into smaller parts and analyzing each part individually. It may also be helpful to gather additional information or seek assistance from others who have expertise in the area.

2. What steps can I take to find a solution?

After identifying the problem, the next step is to brainstorm possible solutions. This can be done by considering different approaches, researching similar problems and their solutions, or seeking advice from others. Once a list of potential solutions is created, evaluate each one and choose the most feasible and effective option.

3. How can I use data to help me figure out a problem?

Data can be a valuable tool in figuring out a problem. It can provide insights and evidence to support or reject potential solutions. Collecting and analyzing data can also help identify patterns and trends that may contribute to the problem. It is important to ensure that the data used is accurate and relevant to the problem at hand.

4. What role does critical thinking play in figuring out a problem?

Critical thinking is essential in figuring out a problem. It involves actively and objectively analyzing information, considering different perspectives, and questioning assumptions. By using critical thinking skills, one can evaluate potential solutions and determine the most logical and effective approach to solving the problem.

5. How can I prevent similar problems from arising in the future?

To prevent similar problems from arising in the future, it is important to reflect on the root cause of the problem and take proactive measures to address it. This can involve implementing new processes or procedures, providing training or resources, or making necessary changes to prevent the issue from occurring again. It may also be helpful to regularly review and assess potential risks in order to anticipate and prevent future problems.