Some physics work, show me what i am doing wrong.

In summary, the problem with the summarization is that the user does not correctly solve for the magnetic field at different distances.
Pepsi24chevy
Hey guys, here is the pic for one problem. http://www.webassign.net/pse/p30-17.gif
the question reads:In Figure P30.17, the current in the long, straight wire is I1 = 9.00 A and the wire lies in the plane of the rectangular loop, which carries the current I2 = 10.0 A. The dimensions are c = 0.100 m, a = 0.150 m, and l = 0.550 m. Find the magnitude and direction of the net force exerted on the loop by the magnetic field created by the wire.
I know that the direction is to the left. As for the magnitude i tried to use (munot(I1)(I2)/(2pi)) * ln(1+a/c). when i plug in my numbers i get 1.0363e-4 which is not correct. What am i doing wrong.

next, i have this problem:
http://www.webassign.net/pse/p30-21alt.gif
Figure P30.23 is a cross-sectional view of a coaxial cable. The center conductor is surrounded by a rubber layer, which is surrounded by an outer conductor, which is surrounded by another rubber layer. In a particular application, the current in the inner conductor is I1 = 1.06 A out of the monitor, and the current in the outer conductor is I2 = 3.14 A into the monitor. Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point a.
Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point b.

I tried to use the equation (munot*I)/(2pi*r) but i get 1.06 which is not correct.
For magnetic field at b, i tried to use((munot*I)/(2piR^2))*r which gets me to 6.98 but is not correct.

Then for this 3rd problem it reads:
A 1.00 A current is charging a capacitor that has square plates, 2.00 cm on a side.
(a) If the plate separation is 6.00 mm, find the time rate of change of electric flux between the plates.

I don't know what to do for this one, so any equation or hint someone can give me would be great, thanks.

For this 4th problem:The magnetic field 41.0 cm away from a long, straight wire carrying current 9.00 A is 4.39 µT.
(a) At what distance is it 0.800 µT?
cm
(b) At one instant, the two conductors in a long household extension cord carry equal 9.00 A currents in opposite directions. The two wires are 3.00 mm apart. Find the magnetic field 41.0 cm away from the middle of the straight cord, in the plane of the two wires.

Your answer differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude. nT
(c) At what distance is it one tenth as large?
cm
(d) The center wire in a coaxial cable carries current 9.00 A in one direction and the sheath around it carries current 9.00 A in the opposite direction. What magnetic field does the cable create at points outside?
nT

I know A is 225 cm by usingb(2pi*r)= munot Iinc, in which i found Iinc then used that and the new value of b into the same equation in which i got 225 which according to webassigned is correct.
I don't know what to do for b,c,and d. I was told to use b= (munot8I/2pi)(1/r1-1/r2) but i can not get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to use formulae for magnetic field

[tex] B = \frac{\mu _0 I_1}{2 \pi d}[/tex]

for the magnetic field and then the magnitude of force d = c and c + a

[tex] F = BI_2 l [/tex]

for the two wires separately

the current in both wires is in opposite direction and therefore the resultant force is the difference of the two.

For part (a) it appears that you have used correct formula. r = 1mm and I = I1.

For part (b) again the same only I = I1 -I2 and r = 3 mm

Go through Ampere's circuital law again.

1. What is the first step in solving a physics problem?

The first step in solving a physics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the known values and equations to calculate the answer and compare it to your solution. You can also use estimation and common sense to make sure the answer is reasonable.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and make sure you fully understand the problem and the concepts involved. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

4. How do I know which equation to use?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to first identify the known and unknown quantities. Then, you can choose the appropriate equation that relates these quantities. If necessary, you can also use multiple equations to solve a problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using the wrong units, forgetting to include all relevant forces or components, and not double-checking your calculations. It is also important to make sure your answer has the correct units and is reasonable based on the known values.