What makes the electrons move in conductor? (em induction)

In summary: When you pull the magnet back, you are decreasing the flux and the current wants to move in the direction of decreasing flux. This takes energy, which is why the electrons want to connect with the magnet.
Physicsissuef
What makes the electrons move in conductor, while I am moving the magnet among the conductor in closed circular loop? It is the magnetic force from the magnet, but why when I get close the magnet they start moving in direction, oppose of the magnetic force?

Physics news on Phys.org
What moves the electons is the induced electric field created by the moving magnetic field. The current is always induced in a direction to oppose any change in the magnetic flux through the loop. As you move the pole of a magnet towards the loop, you are increasing the flux in the loop--the electrons will move to reduce it.

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
What moves the electons is the induced electric field created by the moving magnetic field. The current is always induced in a direction to oppose any change in the magnetic flux through the loop. As you move the pole of a magnet towards the loop, you are increasing the flux in the loop--the electrons will move to reduce it.

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html" [Broken]

Why they want to reduce it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a consequence of the conservation of energy. Read those links.

This question made me think. Do only electrons produce an electric field, and what would the electric field be composed of? I am assuming the electric field is continuous with no gaps. I don't think it's solid electrons. I guess it's just some form of energy.

nanoWatt said:
This question made me think. Do only electrons produce an electric field, and what would the electric field be composed of? I am assuming the electric field is continuous with no gaps. I don't think it's solid electrons. I guess it's just some form of energy.

Er.. this may be rather obvious, but protons do have charges too, you know.

And a changing magnetic field also produces electric field, per the Maxwell equations.

Zz.

Doc Al said:
It's a consequence of the conservation of energy. Read those links.

I read them, but still can't understand. Conservation of energy of the electrons or?

Doc Al?

Physicsissuef said:
Conservation of energy of the electrons or?
It takes energy to get a current flowing. That energy comes from the work you have to do in pushing the magnet into the loop. (The induced current exerts a force on the magnet that opposes its motion--you have to push the magnet, which takes energy.)

Doc Al said:
It takes energy to get a current flowing. That energy comes from the work you have to do in pushing the magnet into the loop. (The induced current exerts a force on the magnet that opposes its motion--you have to push the magnet, which takes energy.)
And when I push the magnet back, why the electrons are going in same direction of the magnetic field, so they want to connect with it?

Physicsissuef said:
And when I push the magnet back, why the electrons are going in same direction of the magnetic field, so they want to connect with it?
The induced current always resists any change in flux. When you pull the magnet back you are acting to decrease the flux, so the current moves so as to increase it. (Again, this takes energy. You have to pull the magnet.)

Doc Al said:
The induced current always resists any change in flux. When you pull the magnet back you are acting to decrease the flux, so the current moves so as to increase it. (Again, this takes energy. You have to pull the magnet.)
Ok, I understand that. But why it wants to increase it?

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This occurs when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, causing the movement of electrons and thus generating an electric current.

2. What causes electrons to move in a conductor?

The movement of electrons in a conductor is caused by the presence of a magnetic field, which creates a force on the electrons. This force causes the electrons to move in a specific direction, creating an electric current.

3. How do electrons move in a conductor during electromagnetic induction?

During electromagnetic induction, the changing magnetic field around a conductor causes the electrons in the conductor to move in a cyclical motion. This movement creates an electric current that flows in the opposite direction of the changing magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the movement of electrons in a conductor during electromagnetic induction?

The movement of electrons in a conductor during electromagnetic induction can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the properties of the conductor such as its size, shape, and material.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and induction cooktops. Additionally, it is the basis for many forms of energy production, including hydroelectric power and nuclear power.