Chemistry - Redox Disproportionation Balancing?

In summary: But it is a much more accurate representation of what actually happens in a reaction.Oh okay, thank you so much for that explanation! I was a little lost before. I'll definitely be sticking to the half reaction method from now on :)In summary, the student attempted to balance an equation for disproportionation reactions, but was unsuccessful due to an error in figuring out how to do it systematically. He then tried a different method, the ion electron method, but was not successful either. He then found out that he needed to add electrons to one side of the equation in order to balance it.
escryan

Homework Statement

Balance the equation for disproportionation reactions.

Homework Equations

S8(s) ----> S2-+S2O32- (basic solution)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted into do this with the ion electron method, obtaining an answer:

3S8 + 24OH- ----> 16S2- + 4S2O32- + 12H2O

However, I didn't follow the conventions that I was given, like using systematic steps to come to an answer... I was basically just guessing and checking, but I would like to know how to do it systematically.
Apparently though, I'm supposed to be doing my redox equations with the half reaction method instead.. which rather confuses me. When I attempted to do the half reaction...

reduction: S8 + 16e- ----> 8S2-
oxidation: 2S8 + 24OH- (?) ----> 4S2O32- + 8e- + 12H2O

The oxidation portion of the half reaction just doesn't seem to add up when I'm trying it.
I'd like to know if there is a systematic method to figuring out these sorts of equations so in the future I can have some sort of guideline in solving them. Help would be greatly appreciated :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
escryan said:
oxidation: 2S8 + 24OH- (?) ----> 4S2O32- + 8e- + 12H2O

Why do you start with 2S8? Try just S8.

I think that might've been a typo on my part, sorry.

I had written on my paper:
2S8 + 48OH- ----> 8S2O32- + 8e- + 24H2O

as well as:

S8 + 24OH- ----> 4S2O32- + 8e- + 12H2O

and neither of the charges worked out to them being equal on either side..

Another typo I noticed (eek.)
I attempted into do this with the ion electron method, obtaining an answer:

I meant to say I used another method, not the ion electron method/ half reaction, to come to that answer. Not sure that that would matter any..?

escryan said:
S8 + 24OH- ----> 4S2O32- + 8e- + 12H2O

and neither of the charges worked out to them being equal on either side.

Which means that you have to change number of electrons. Everything else seems to be balanced.

Ahh.. that's the part that confuses me.. how do you come to find the number of electrons you must add to one side?

I've always been under the impression that the electrons added were based sheerly on the oxidation numbers. In this equation, S8 has 0 charge, and an individual S has a 0 charge. Comparing this to the S in the S2O32- which has a charge of 2+.. multiplied by four by balancing only gives a value of 8e-...

If you are balancing with half reactions method, you use electrons to balance charge. Don't even think about ON.

Oh wow, that's a really helpful guide! Thanks so much for your help :)!

Just one last question, is there any reason as to why the half reaction method is recommended/preferred over the one involving oxidation numbers? I'm just curious because I'd rather use the oxidation numbers one (because that's the one I first learned), but my current teacher only teaches the half reaction method.

In short: oxidation numbers don't exist. They are just an accounting device and they don't refer to any real chemical (measurable) property of atoms in compounds. Half reactions method is much closer to the real chemistry - they refer to existing processes, parameters of which can be measured and/or calcuated (like potential of half cell given by Nernst equation). It doesn't necesarilly mean that half reaction occurs exactly as its reaction equation describes - for example, it can have several steps.

1. What is meant by "redox disproportionation" in chemistry?

In chemistry, redox disproportionation refers to a type of chemical reaction in which a single substance is both oxidized and reduced at the same time, resulting in the formation of two different products with different oxidation states.

2. How do you balance a redox disproportionation reaction?

To balance a redox disproportionation reaction, you will need to first break down the reaction into two half-reactions, one for the oxidation process and one for the reduction process. Then, balance the number of atoms and charges on each side of the equation by adding appropriate coefficients and balancing the charges using electrons. Finally, combine the two half-reactions and cancel out any common elements or compounds to obtain the balanced overall reaction.

3. What is the purpose of balancing redox disproportionation reactions?

The purpose of balancing redox disproportionation reactions is to ensure that the law of conservation of mass is obeyed, meaning that the total number of atoms of each element on both sides of the reaction equation is equal. This also ensures that the charges are balanced, and the reaction is accurately represented.

4. Can redox disproportionation reactions take place in both acidic and basic solutions?

Yes, redox disproportionation reactions can take place in both acidic and basic solutions. However, the method for balancing the reactions will differ depending on the pH of the solution. In acidic solutions, hydrogen ions (H+) are involved in the reaction, while in basic solutions, hydroxide ions (OH-) are involved.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for balancing redox disproportionation reactions?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or tricks that can be used to balance redox disproportionation reactions. One common method is the "half-reaction method," in which the reaction is broken down into two half-reactions and then balanced separately. Another method is the "oxidation number method," in which the changes in oxidation numbers of elements are used to balance the reaction. Additionally, using the concepts of oxidation and reduction, it is possible to identify which elements are being oxidized and reduced and then balance the reaction accordingly.