Which Limit Law should I refer to in my solution?

• Thread starter Abuda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Limit
In summary, the limit of the given expression as x approaches 0.5 can be evaluated using the Limit Laws. By factoring out (x-0.5) from both the numerator and denominator, the limit can be rewritten as the product of two simpler limits. The limit of a sum is equal to the sum of the limits, and the limit of a product with a constant is equal to the constant times the limit. Additionally, the limit of a fraction is equal to the limit of the numerator divided by the (non-zero) limit of the denominator. Therefore, the limit of the given expression is -7.
Abuda

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit below indicating the appropriate Limit Law(s) implemented.
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2x^2+5x-3}{6x^2-7x+2}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2x^2+5x-3}{6x^2-7x+2}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2(x-0.5)(x+3)}{6(x-0.5)(x-(2/3))}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2(x+3)}{6(x-(2/3))}=-7[/itex]

So would I be required to state anything when I can out the (x-0.5) factor?
(PS, I'm doing Real Analysis and have learned about proving limits from first principles but I'm now trying to learn about using shortcuts by referencing theorems.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Abuda said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit below indicating the appropriate Limit Law(s) implemented.
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2x^2+5x-3}{6x^2-7x+2}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2x^2+5x-3}{6x^2-7x+2}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2(x-0.5)(x+3)}{6(x-0.5)(x-(2/3))}=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0.5}\frac{2(x+3)}{6(x-(2/3))}=-7[/tex]

So would I be required to state anything when I can out the (x-0.5) factor?
(PS, I'm doing Real Analysis and have learned about proving limits from first principles but I'm now trying to learn about using shortcuts by referencing theorems.)

Did you mean so? Do not mix tex and itex.

Say that x--->0.5 means that x tends to 0.5 but never equals to it, so x-0.5 can not equal to zero so you can divide with it. After that explain that the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits, limit of a product with a constant is also equal to the constant times the limit, and the limit of the fraction is equal to the limit of the numerator divided by the (non-zero) limit of the denominator .

ehild

Thank you very much for helping me and fixing up my latex skills. Your explanation about canceling sounds good to me and the other notes about the algebra of limits.
Alex

1. What is a limit law?

A limit law is a mathematical rule that is used to evaluate the limit of a function. It helps to simplify and solve complex limits by providing a set of rules and formulas to follow.

2. How do I know which limit law to use?

The limit law to use depends on the type of limit you are trying to solve. For example, if you are dealing with a limit involving a sum or difference of functions, you would use the Sum/Difference Law. If you are dealing with a limit involving a product or quotient of functions, you would use the Product/Quotient Law.

3. Can I use more than one limit law in a single solution?

Yes, it is possible to use more than one limit law in a single solution. This may be necessary for more complex limits that require multiple steps to evaluate.

4. Are there any exceptions to the limit laws?

Yes, there are some cases where the limit laws may not apply. For example, if you encounter a limit that involves indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, the limit laws may not be applicable and you may need to use other methods to solve it.

5. Do I need to memorize all the limit laws?

While it is helpful to have a general understanding of the limit laws, you do not need to memorize all of them. It is more important to understand the concepts behind each law and know how to apply them in different situations.