Register to reply

Calculating distance using redshift

by Goldilocks32
Tags: distance, redshift
Share this thread:
Goldilocks32
Feb26-12, 10:54 AM
P: 2
Hi. I have pretty rudimentary math skills, and am hoping someone can explain this formula for me, found online a number of places including:

http://www.astrophysicsspectator.com...agalactic.html

for calculating distance (d) in megaparsecs using redshift (z), the speed of light (c), and Hubble's constant (H).

d = c z/H

It's the (units in) Hubble's constant that have me confused. In the example from the link, "we see that objects with a redshift of 0.1 are about 4.6 gigaparsecs [a]way", assuming an H of 65 km s-1 Mpc-1. So I assumed c here would be in km/s, but:

300000 * (0.1/65) = 461

Which is 0.46 gigaparsecs, not 4.6. What is it about the units/Hubble's constant here that I don't get?

Here's what I guessing: units ^ -1 mean 65 should be multiplied by 0.1, which is different than 65 ^ -1. This would make H 6.5, and the result would be correct. Is that right? If so, why is the notation km/s-1/Mpc-1? How would that be different from km/s/Mpc-1?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chandra X-ray Observatory finds planet that makes star act deceptively old
Astronomers release most detailed catalogue ever made of the visible Milky Way
Planets with oddball orbits like Mercury could host life
zhermes
Feb26-12, 11:57 AM
P: 1,261
I think your calculation (as it was) is correct. Your guess about the units is definitely not right---the units are separate from the number attached to them.
Maybe their result is just a typo...
Goldilocks32
Feb26-12, 02:42 PM
P: 2
Yeah, you're right. The next thing I tried this on was the Large Magellanic Cloud, which produced even more bizarre results, but I found a calculator for this online:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...hubble.html#c3

And eventually got some data to match up (it seems the LMC's redshift is an anomaly, so my first test case was a typo and my second anomalous -_-).

zhermes
Feb26-12, 05:54 PM
P: 1,261
Calculating distance using redshift

Haha, just some bad luck I guess!
Way to be thorough---good job

Register to reply