Solving Probability Problem: Red Cube 6 & Sum of Cubes 10

• Thread starter MACHO-WIMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
XZlIEluIHN1bW1hcnksICJ3eWxkIGxlZnQiLCB5b3UgYXJlIHRoZSBjYWxjdWxhdGVzIHVwZGF0ZWQ/IFRoaXMgdGhlbiBpcyB0aGUgY2Fsb3JzIHByb2JsZW1zIGNhbiBhIGY0IGxvY2F0aW9uIGFuZCBhIHRoZSB0d28gc3VtIG9mIHRoZSB0aHUgdGVjaCBlbmNyeXB0a
MACHO-WIMP
The question is:
Two number cubes are rolled--one is red and the other is white. Find the probability that the red cube is a 6 and the sum of the two cubes is 10.

I said that it is 1/6 for being a 6 and since only a 4 can add up to 10 its 1/6*1/6=1/36. But my teacher said it was wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I must say that I think you are correct and your teacher wrong. Are you sure you two are talking about the same problem? If the problem were just "one cube is 6 and the two sum to 10" then then you could get a 6 on either, and a four on the other: (1/6)(1/6)+ (1/6)(1/6)= 1/18.

MACHO-WIMP said:
The question is:
Two number cubes are rolled--one is red and the other is white. Find the probability that the red cube is a 6 and the sum of the two cubes is 10.

I said that it is 1/6 for being a 6 and since only a 4 can add up to 10 its 1/6*1/6=1/36. But my teacher said it was wrong. Please help!

You are correct; your teacher made a mistake. Your teacher would be correct IF you were not told the color of the "6" die---but you *were* told its color.

RGV

What is the probability of drawing a red cube with a sum of cubes equal to 10?

The probability of drawing a red cube with a sum of cubes equal to 10 is 1/6. This is because there is only one red cube out of six total cubes and only one combination of cubes (4 and 6) that add up to 10.

How many different combinations of cubes can result in a sum of 10?

There are three different combinations of cubes that can result in a sum of 10: 4 and 6, 5 and 5, and 6 and 4.

What is the probability of drawing a red cube with a sum of cubes less than 10?

The probability of drawing a red cube with a sum of cubes less than 10 is 2/3. This is because there are two out of three possible combinations (4 and 6, and 5 and 5) that result in a sum less than 10.

What is the probability of drawing a non-red cube with a sum of cubes equal to 10?

The probability of drawing a non-red cube with a sum of cubes equal to 10 is 1/3. This is because there are two out of six total cubes that have a sum of cubes equal to 10 (4 and 6, and 5 and 5), and only one of those cubes is red.

How many possible outcomes are there for drawing a cube and getting a sum of cubes less than 10?

There are four possible outcomes for drawing a cube and getting a sum of cubes less than 10: red cube and sum less than 10, non-red cube and sum less than 10, red cube and sum equal to 10, and non-red cube and sum equal to 10.