Definition of the wedge product on the exterior algebra of a vector space

In summary, the wedge product on the exterior algebra \Lambda^*(V) is defined by extending the definition as a bilinear map from \Lambda^k(V)\times \Lambda^l(V) \rightarrow \Lambda^{k+l}(V).
phibonacci
Hi,

I am currently reading about differential forms in "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by J. M. Lee, and I was wondering exactly how you define the wedge product on the exterior algebra [itex]\Lambda^*(V) = \oplus_{k=0}^n\Lambda^k(V)[/itex] of a vector space [itex]V[/itex]. I understand how the wedge product is defined as a map
[itex]\Lambda^k(V)\times \Lambda^l(V) \rightarrow \Lambda^{k+l}(V)[/itex].
Is the idea simply to extend this definition bilinearly to [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex]? I.e. given elements [itex](T_0, ..., T_n)[/itex] and [itex](S_0, ..., S_n)[/itex] in [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex], do we simply calculate all the combinations [itex]T_j \wedge S_k[/itex], add the obtained forms that have the same degree, and finally let these sums make up the new element of [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex]? This seems to me like an intuitive definition, but Lee wasn't very specific about this, so I thought I should make sure this is correct.

Please let me know if there is something in my post that seems unclear.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the wedge product is placed as an internal operation on the exterior algebra right from the definition. That's the whole purpose of defining the direct sum of vector spaces, to make an external operation (from the pov of the vector spaces) internal. The wedge product takes an element of V* in another (typically different) element of V*, hence it's an internal operation on the exterior algebra. The direct sum vector space together with the wedge product is a Z_2 graded algebra.

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure if I see what you mean, though. I was primarily interested in whether my "rule" for calculating the wedge product between two elements of the exterior algebra was correct or not.

phibonacci said:
Hi,

I am currently reading about differential forms in "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by J. M. Lee, and I was wondering exactly how you define the wedge product on the exterior algebra [itex]\Lambda^*(V) = \oplus_{k=0}^n\Lambda^k(V)[/itex] of a vector space [itex]V[/itex]. I understand how the wedge product is defined as a map
[itex]\Lambda^k(V)\times \Lambda^l(V) \rightarrow \Lambda^{k+l}(V)[/itex].
Is the idea simply to extend this definition bilinearly to [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex]? I.e. given elements [itex](T_0, ..., T_n)[/itex] and [itex](S_0, ..., S_n)[/itex] in [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex], do we simply calculate all the combinations [itex]T_j \wedge S_k[/itex], add the obtained forms that have the same degree, and finally let these sums make up the new element of [itex]\Lambda^*(V)[/itex]?
Yes, that is it!

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thank you for your question about the wedge product on the exterior algebra of a vector space. You are correct in your understanding of how the wedge product is defined on \Lambda^*(V). The idea is to extend the definition bilinearly, as you suggested. This means that for two elements T and S in \Lambda^*(V), we can write T = \sum_{k=0}^n T_k and S = \sum_{l=0}^n S_l, where T_k and S_l are elements of \Lambda^k(V) and \Lambda^l(V) respectively. Then, the wedge product of T and S is defined as the sum of all possible wedge products T_k \wedge S_l, where k and l range from 0 to n, and the resulting forms have degree k+l.

I hope this answers your question and clarifies any confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great day!

1. What is the wedge product on the exterior algebra of a vector space?

The wedge product, also known as the exterior product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is defined as the antisymmetric part of the tensor product, meaning that the order in which the vectors are multiplied does not matter.

2. How is the wedge product different from the cross product?

The wedge product is different from the cross product in that it is defined for vectors in any dimension, whereas the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. Additionally, while the cross product results in a vector that is perpendicular to the original vectors, the wedge product can result in a vector that is not perpendicular to the original vectors.

3. What are some practical applications of the wedge product?

The wedge product has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in differential geometry to define the exterior derivative, which is a fundamental operation in the study of manifolds. In physics, it is used to describe the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. In engineering, it is used in fields such as computer graphics and robotics.

4. Are there any properties of the wedge product that make it useful in mathematical computations?

Yes, the wedge product has several useful properties that make it valuable in mathematical computations. For example, it is distributive over addition, meaning that (a + b) ∧ c = (a ∧ c) + (b ∧ c). It is also associative, meaning that a ∧ (b ∧ c) = (a ∧ b) ∧ c. These properties allow for simplification of calculations and make it easier to work with in various mathematical contexts.

5. How does the wedge product relate to other mathematical concepts?

The wedge product is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as determinants, cross products, and exterior derivatives. In fact, the cross product can be expressed in terms of the wedge product as a special case. It also has connections to differential forms, which are used to study the behavior of functions and vectors on manifolds. Overall, the wedge product is a fundamental tool in many areas of mathematics and has important connections to other concepts.