What are axial and peripheral ligands in coordination chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the terms "axial" and "peripheral" in relation to complex geometries like trigonal bipyramidal and octahedral. These terms refer to the positions of ligands in the complex, with equatorial or peripheral ligands being located at the base of the pyramid and axial ligands being located at the top. The conversation also clarifies that the oxygen atom in the example molecule is an axial ligand, despite not being an electron donor.
CrimpJiggler
In this article:
http://jredman.kombyonyx.com/thesis/Ch16.htm
they mention "axial ligands" and "peripheral ligands". What exactly does that mean? Heres the molecule they use as an example:
http://jredman.kombyonyx.com/thesis/Ch16_files/image002.gif
I can see that the porphyrin rings both have a metal ligand M binded to them. That oxygen atom which bridges the two M ligands, is that an "axial ligand"? Is it even a ligand at all, I thought a ligand meant an electrophilic species which accepts electrons from an electron doner and forms a dative bond. I'm used to oxygen atoms being an electron doner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Axial and peripheral refer to the positions in complexes displaying geometries like that of trigonal bipyramidal or octahedral. In the former case you can think of three ligands which make up the "base" of each pyramid as equatorial/peripheral and the two other ligands as the axial. The same idea is applied to octahedral complexes, notice the pyrrole nitrogen a are equatorial and with the bridging O being axial in both metals (so is the thing at the very top but my phone won't show me the full size picture).

That explains it, thanks a lot.

What are axial ligands?

Axial ligands are molecules or ions that bind to the central metal atom of a coordination compound in an axial position. These ligands can be either neutral or charged, and they interact with the metal through coordination bonds.

What is the role of axial ligands in coordination compounds?

Axial ligands play a crucial role in determining the geometry and stability of coordination compounds. They can influence the electronic and magnetic properties of the metal center, as well as the reactivity of the compound.

What types of axial ligands are commonly found in coordination compounds?

The most common types of axial ligands are neutral molecules such as H2O, NH3, and CO, as well as anionic ligands like Cl-, CN-, and NO2-. These ligands can bind to the metal through lone pair electrons or a negative charge.

How do axial ligands affect the color of coordination compounds?

Axial ligands can affect the color of coordination compounds through a phenomenon known as ligand field splitting. This is the splitting of the d-orbitals of the metal ion due to the presence of ligands, which can result in the absorption of certain wavelengths of light and give the compound its characteristic color.

Can axial ligands be replaced by other ligands in a coordination compound?

Yes, axial ligands can be replaced by other ligands through a process called ligand exchange. This can occur in solution or through a chemical reaction, and it can result in changes in the geometry and properties of the coordination compound.