What is normal air pressure in N/cm^2?

In summary, Roger has a hard time understanding pressure. Pressure is only felt when there is a pressure difference. Normal air pressure is 1 atm. One whole kg per square centimeter is how much pressure is felt. Pressure differences can cause different things to happen. For example, if one side of a person's body is at 1kg/cm^2 and the other side is at 5kg/cm^2, the person would feel pressure. If the pressure around a person was 100kg/cm^2, they would not feel pressure because the pressure inside and outside their body would be the same.
Why is the skin any different than any other part of its body?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thought is that pressure from the outside of its skin is pressing equally much from the inside of its skin.

And putting one finger of my left hand against one finger of my right hand with increasing force/pressure makes me think that that guys skin is rough.

Don't you think so too?

Roger

I ask again. Why is the skin different from any other part of its body?

I totally get it now.

Consider a lidless and bottomless box of fragile ginger bread (that we say is water resistant). Let's place this fragile frame at a table (1atm) first. Being causious it will stand unharmed.

Now, moving it slowly down into water it will remain unharmed regardless of depth and therefore pressure!

It is not until we move it at a certain speed (especially sideways) according to

[tex]p=1/2\rho v^2[/tex]
that we generate an additional pressure component which will destroy the frame.

In other words, ambient pressure has no effect whatsoever (it just states that there is some fluid available). It's the density of the fluid and speed of the object, in this case, that has effect. More generally, "felt" pressure is indeed differential.

Roger and out :smile:

Last edited:
We're simply used to 1 atm, hence we don't feel it. If you can, go to few hundred meters below the ground level, you'll start to feel something's different :D

lendav_rott said:
We're simply used to 1 atm, hence we don't feel it. If you can, go to few hundred meters below the ground level, you'll start to feel something's different :D
Not correct. You need to reread the thread.

Hello I'm a pilot
I was discussin with a friend about the center of gravity of an aircraft n we didn't agree
This is my question :
We all know that the center of gravity moves forward and aft the question is
Does the center of gravity moves up and down??
Lookin forward for a reply

ThxSent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

B737 said:
Hello I'm a pilot
I was discussin with a friend about the center of gravity of an aircraft n we didn't agree
This is my question :
We all know that the center of gravity moves forward and aft the question is
Does the center of gravity moves up and down??
Lookin forward for a reply

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

You should start a new thread and make the question a bit more clear.

<h2>1. What is normal air pressure in N/cm^2?</h2><p>The normal air pressure at sea level is approximately 101.3 N/cm^2.</p><h2>2. How is air pressure measured?</h2><p>Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the force exerted by the weight of air in a given area.</p><h2>3. What factors can affect air pressure?</h2><p>Air pressure can be affected by temperature, altitude, and weather patterns. As temperature increases, air pressure decreases. As altitude increases, air pressure decreases. And weather patterns, such as high or low pressure systems, can also impact air pressure.</p><h2>4. What are the units used to measure air pressure?</h2><p>Air pressure can be measured in several units, including N/cm^2, millibars, and inches of mercury. The most commonly used unit is N/cm^2.</p><h2>5. Why is it important to know the normal air pressure?</h2><p>Knowing the normal air pressure is important for several reasons. It can help us understand weather patterns, predict changes in weather, and also has implications for aviation, scuba diving, and other activities that are affected by changes in air pressure.</p>

1. What is normal air pressure in N/cm^2?

The normal air pressure at sea level is approximately 101.3 N/cm^2.

2. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the force exerted by the weight of air in a given area.

3. What factors can affect air pressure?

Air pressure can be affected by temperature, altitude, and weather patterns. As temperature increases, air pressure decreases. As altitude increases, air pressure decreases. And weather patterns, such as high or low pressure systems, can also impact air pressure.

4. What are the units used to measure air pressure?

Air pressure can be measured in several units, including N/cm^2, millibars, and inches of mercury. The most commonly used unit is N/cm^2.

5. Why is it important to know the normal air pressure?

Knowing the normal air pressure is important for several reasons. It can help us understand weather patterns, predict changes in weather, and also has implications for aviation, scuba diving, and other activities that are affected by changes in air pressure.