What is the charge on the other sphere after adding electrons?

• Thread starter red ink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, an additive constant must be added to the charge on one sphere to get the correct net charge on the second sphere.
red ink
Im doing some online homework and it says my answer is off by an additive constant?
Some back ground...
How many electrons would have to be removed from one sphere and added to the other to cause an attractive force between the spheres of magnitude 1.00 *10^4 Newtons? Assume that the spheres may be treated as point charges.

I caluclated the charge in one sphere to be 8.43*10^-2. Then calculated how many electrons are needed to get this charge which is 5.268*10^17.

Assume that after some electrons have been removed from it, the first sphere ends up with a net charge of q_1. What would be the charge on the other sphere, q_2, after these extra electrons are added to it?

I entered q_2=(q_1 - 5.268*10^17). It says I am off by an additive constant? Did i lose you guys, or do u know what's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means you're off by some number that can be added or subtracted from your answer

red ink said:
I entered q_2=(q_1 - 5.268*10^17). It says I am off by an additive constant? Did i lose you guys, or do u know what's wrong?

Where'd you get this from? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Hint: If you take 3 electrons off one sphere and slap them onto the other, then obviously suddenly there's a net charge of +3e on the first sphere, and since the second one gets the three extra electrons the first one lost, its net charge is obviously then -3e. Can you see that since you're just transferring charge from one sphere to the other, the net charge on one sphere has to be equal and opposite to that on the other?

assuming this is the correct number of electrons needed , 5.268*10^17 ,to create the force, what would q_2 be then?
I totally understand the concept u mentioned, but the online program said i have to have q_1 in my answer to what q_2 equals
E.g.
q_2= q_1 ?
what goes in place of the question marks? rrrr...online homework sucks:yuck:

red ink said:
q_2= q_1 ?

Close. Equal and OPPOSITE.

if q_1= 5.268*10^17
then q_2= -5.268*10^17
are there any nessesary constants i need to express in my answer?

1. What is an additive constant?

An additive constant is a numerical value that is added or subtracted from an expression or equation to shift its position on a graph without altering its shape or slope.

2. How is an additive constant different from a multiplicative constant?

An additive constant is added or subtracted from an expression, while a multiplicative constant is multiplied or divided from an expression. Additive constants change the position of the graph, while multiplicative constants change its scale.

3. Can an additive constant be negative?

Yes, an additive constant can be negative. When added to an expression, it shifts the graph downwards, and when subtracted, it shifts the graph upwards.

4. What is an example of an additive constant?

Consider the equation y = 2x + 3. The additive constant in this equation is 3. Adding or subtracting 3 from the y-value of any point on the graph of this equation will shift the graph upwards or downwards by 3 units.

5. Why are additive constants important in mathematics and science?

Additive constants allow for the manipulation and translation of graphs and equations without changing their fundamental properties. This is useful in solving equations and analyzing data in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.