Closed curve and orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a similar transformation to equations (1) and (2) for a curvilinear coordinate system that is orthogonal when using a closed path defined by an equation such as x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = 1. The conversation also explores the possibility of using the hyper-ellipse equation x^(2n)/A^(2n) + y^(2n)/B^(2n) = k and determines the tangent and perpendicular vectors for this curve. Finally, the conversation discusses the parameteric representation for this problem, with the caveat that A and B must be positive. Some possible solutions are proposed but no definitive answer is given.
traianus
Hello, I have a "simple" problem for you guys. I am not expert in math and so try to be simple.

I explain the problem by starting with one example. The polar coordinate system has the following main property: with two parameters, rho and theta, each point is described as the intersection of a circle and a straight line. These two curves are orthogonal and so the curvilinear coordinate system is orthogonal.

Another example is if we use ellipses and hyperbolas: they are orthogonal. The transformation is simple:

x = c*cosh(a)* cos(b) (1)
y = c*sinh(a) * sin(b) (2)

where a>0, and 0<=b<=2pi

Now my question. Suppose that we like to use a set of curvilinear coordinate system (plane x-y only) which is orthogonal. Suppose that instead of ellipses or circles one of the type of curves is a closed path defined by (for example) the equation

x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = 1

which is closed curve similar to an ellipse. Ho do I find a similar trasnformation (like equations (1) and (2)) with the property that the curvilinear coordinate system is also orthogonal? Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that instead of ellipses or circles one of the type of curves is a closed path defined by (for example) the equation

x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = 1
Did you mean the family of curves (parametrized by k > 0)

x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = k

where A and B are fixed constants?

Ho do I find a similar trasnformation (like equations (1) and (2)) with the property that the curvilinear coordinate system is also orthogonal?
In the obvious way! :smile: Just look at what you want: you want functions of two variables a and b such that:

(1) The derivative WRT a is parallel to x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = k
(2) The derivative WRT b is perpendicular to x^8/A^8 + y^8/B^8 = k

So you should be able to set up a system of partial differential equations. I guess it might not be very easy to solve, though.

Thank you. Can you show the system of partial differential equations that solves the problem? Actually in my case I like to have the coordinate system of the "hyper-ellipse"

x^(2n)/A^(2n) + y^(2n)/B^(2n) = k

where n is a positive integer.

If C(k) is the loop defined by:

x^8 / A^8 + y^8 / B^8 = k

and (p, q) is a point on C(k)

then can you find a tangent vector to C(k) at (p, q)? What about a vector perpendicular to C(k) at (p, q)?

It is an implicit function. So I think that the tangent has equation

7*p^7/A^8*(x-p) + 7*q^7/B^8*(y-q) = 0 (1)

from (1) it follows that the vector perpendicular to the curve is

Vperp= q^7/B^8 * i - p^7/A^8*j (2)

where i,j are the unit vectors. The vector parallel to the curve is then

Vpar = p^7/A^8*i+ q^7/B^8*j (3)

Let me see if I get your point. Curvilinear coordinates means that there is a transformation of the type

x = f(a,b) (4)

y = g(a,b) (5)

Now I have to obtain the system. Please correct if am wrong. If I am not, can you write the system of equations?

Your work is off. I think you just switched which is perpendicular and which is parallel.

You're right that it's an implicit equation: when you differentiate, you should get:

[tex]
\frac{8 p^7}{A^8} \, dx + \frac{8 q^7}{B^8} \, dy = 0
[/tex]

is the equation for motion along your loop at the point (p, q).

Let me see if I get your point. Curvilinear coordinates means that there is a transformation of the type

x = f(a,b) (4)

y = g(a,b) (5)
Yep.

Since you wanted one of your parameters to go around the loop, that means when you partially differentiate, the result should be the tangent vector! i.e.

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial a} \langle f(a, b), g(a, b) \rangle [/itex] = the tangent vector at <f(a, b), g(a, b)>

and a similar condition for the other direction!

Finding "orthogonal trajectories" used to be a standard problem in ordinary d.e.s. If a family of curves is given by f(x,y)= c, then
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}y'= 0[/tex]
so
[tex]y'= -\frac{\frac\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}[/tex]

The "orthogonal trajectories" must satisfy the differential equation
[tex]y'= \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}[/tex]

In the case that [tex]\frac{x^{2n}}{A^{2n}}+ \frac{y^{2n}}{B^{2n}}= k[/tex] (you still haven't answered the question as to whether A and B are fixed constants while k determines the member of the family- actually, I suspect that there are some relations between A, B, k), assuming that A, B are constant while k varies over the family, the orthogonal trajectories satisfy
[tex]y'= \frac{A^{2n}}{B^{2n}}\frac{y^{2n-1}}{x^{2n-1}}[/tex]

Thank you for you answers. A, B are constant, as n. So, what is the parameteric representation

y = f(a,b)

x = g(a,b)

in which when a = constant I have the curve

[tex]\frac{x^{2n}}{A^{2n}}+ \frac{y^{2n}}{B^{2n}}= k[/tex]

and when b = constant I have a family of curves orthogonal to it (like it happens for polar coordinates in which the lines are perpendicular to the circles)?

A and B must be positive. If I move from a curve fto another one, A and B can change, but they can be function ONLY of the parameter a. Also, they have to be positive.

Nobody knwos?

1. What is a closed curve in a coordinate system?

A closed curve in a coordinate system is a curve that begins and ends at the same point, forming a complete loop. It can also be defined as a curve that does not have any endpoints and is continuous.

2. How is a closed curve different from an open curve in a coordinate system?

A closed curve is different from an open curve in that it forms a complete loop, while an open curve does not. An open curve has endpoints and is not continuous, while a closed curve does not have endpoints and is continuous.

3. What is an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system?

An orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system is a coordinate system where the coordinate lines are perpendicular to each other, forming right angles. This type of coordinate system is commonly used in three-dimensional space to describe the position of a point in terms of three curvilinear coordinates.

4. What are the advantages of using an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system?

Using an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system has several advantages, including the ability to describe complex shapes and surfaces more accurately, as well as simplifying mathematical calculations. It also allows for easier visualization and understanding of spatial relationships.

5. How is a closed curve represented in an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system?

In an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system, a closed curve is typically represented by a set of equations or parametric equations that describe the relationship between the coordinates and the shape of the curve. This allows for the curve to be plotted and visualized in the coordinate system.