Electric Fields: Help Needed for Questions on Charge and Magnitude

• Thread starter swami85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the conversation is seeking help on three questions related to electric fields. The first question asks for the number of excess electrons needed to create a specific electric field on a spherical conductor. The second question involves calculating the net electric field at a specific point on the y-axis with two parallel lines of charge. The third question asks for assistance in solving for the charge on a section of a long line of charge, given the electric field at a specific distance. The conversation also references equations that relate charge distributions to electric fields.
swami85
help needed on a couple questions - electric fields

anyone able to lend a hand?

1. How many excess electrons must be added to an isolated spherical conductor of diameer 30.0 cm to produce an electric field of 1155 N/C just outside the surface?

permittivity of free space and charge on an electron are given

2. A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 4.62 \mu C/m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -2.46 \mu C/m and is parallel to the x-axis at y_1 = 0.414 m.

What is the magnitude of the net electric field at point y_2 = 0.188 m on the y-axis?

for this one i think it's along the lines of E = lamda/ 2 pi ep_0 r, but I'm not sure of which values are to be used

and...

3. The electric field at a distance 0.485 m from a very long uniform line of charge is 880 N/C.
How much charge is contained in a section of the line of length 2.00 cm?

i don't want the answer but help on how to solve the questions

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What equations relate charge distributions to electric field?

1. To find the number of excess electrons, we can use the formula for electric field: E = (1/4πε0)(q/r^2). Rearranging this formula, we get q = Er^2/(1/4πε0). Plugging in the given values, we get q = (1155 N/C)(0.15 m)^2/(1/4πε0) = 8.2 x 10^-7 C. Since each electron has a charge of -1.6 x 10^-19 C, we can divide the total charge by the charge of one electron to get the number of excess electrons, which is approximately 5.1 x 10^12 electrons.

2. To find the net electric field at point y_2, we can use the formula for electric field due to a line of charge: E = (λ/2πε0)(1/r). The electric field due to the first line of charge is E1 = (4.62 x 10^-6 C/m)(1/0.188 m) = 2.46 x 10^-5 N/C. The electric field due to the second line of charge is E2 = (-2.46 x 10^-6 C/m)(1/0.188 m) = -1.31 x 10^-5 N/C. Since the two lines of charge are parallel, the net electric field is simply the sum of these two fields, which is 1.15 x 10^-5 N/C.

3. The formula for electric field due to a line of charge can also be rearranged to find the charge: q = E(2πε0r). Plugging in the given values, we get q = (880 N/C)(2πε0)(0.485 m) = 2.7 x 10^-6 C. Since the length of the line is given in centimeters, we need to convert it to meters by dividing by 100. So the charge contained in a section of the line of length 2.00 cm is (2.7 x 10^-6 C)(0.02 m) = 5.4 x 10^-8 C.

What is the purpose of "Help needed on a couple questions"?

The purpose of "Help needed on a couple questions" is to seek assistance or guidance on specific questions or problems that one is facing in their research or experiments.

How can I ask for help in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, it is best to ask for help from a colleague or mentor who has expertise in the specific field of study. You can also seek help from online forums or discussion boards where other scientists can provide insights and advice.

What information should I provide when asking for help on a couple questions?

When seeking help on a couple questions, it is important to provide as much context and background information as possible. This includes the specific research or experiment being conducted, any relevant data or results, and the specific questions or problems that need assistance.

How can I ensure that I receive helpful and accurate responses when asking for help on a couple questions?

To receive helpful and accurate responses, it is important to ask clear and specific questions and provide all necessary information. It is also helpful to communicate any previous attempts or solutions that have been tried and any potential limitations or challenges in the research or experiment.

What are some alternative ways to seek help on a couple questions?

Aside from asking for help from colleagues or online forums, you can also seek assistance from scientific literature, textbooks, or online resources. Additionally, attending conferences or workshops and networking with other scientists can also provide valuable insights and support in addressing questions and problems.