Positive Delta S: H2 + I2 --> 2HI, N2O4 from NO2

In summary, the reactions that would have a positive delta S value are: H2(g) + I2(s) --> 2HI (g) and 2NO2(g) --> N2O4(g). This is because in these reactions, the number of moles of gas increases, leading to a higher number of possible states and therefore a positive delta S value. The other reactions either involve a decrease in the number of moles of gas or a change in state from gas to liquid or solid, resulting in a negative delta S value.
enigmatic
Question: Which of the following would probably have a positive delta S value?

He (g, 2atm) --> He (g, 10 atm)
H2(g) + I2(s) --> 2HI (g)
2Ag(s) + Br2(l) --> 2AgBr(s)
O2(g) --> O2(aq)
2NO2(g) --> N2O4(g)

My answer:
Well, I know that when a gas is pressurized, there are less states it can be in, so the first one's out.
I know that when a liquid becomes a solid, there are less possible states it can be in, so the third one's out.
I know that when a gas becomes an aqueous solution, there are less possible states it can be in, so the fourth one's out.

That leaves the second and fifth ones.
Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fifth one has two molecules reacting to form one molecule.

The second one has two molecules that are diatomic becoming two molecules that are composed of different species.

Based on the definition of entropy (S), which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, the reaction that would likely have a positive delta S value is the second one, H2(g) + I2(s) --> 2HI(g). This is because the reactants (H2 and I2) are in a more ordered state (gas and solid, respectively) than the products (2HI), which are in a more disordered state (gas). This increase in randomness or disorder leads to a positive delta S value.

As for the fifth reaction, 2NO2(g) --> N2O4(g), it is not possible to determine the delta S value based solely on the given information. This is because the delta S value also depends on the temperature at which the reaction takes place. At low temperatures, the reactants (NO2) are in a more ordered state (gas) compared to the products (N2O4), which are in a more disordered state (gas). In this case, the delta S value would be negative. However, at high temperatures, the opposite would be true and the delta S value would be positive.

1. What is positive delta S?

Positive delta S, or positive change in entropy, is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system increasing over time. In other words, it represents the tendency of a system to become more disordered or spread out.

2. What is the reaction H2 + I2 --> 2HI?

This is a chemical reaction between hydrogen gas (H2) and iodine gas (I2) to form two molecules of hydrogen iodide (HI). This reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases energy, and is commonly used in the production of hydroiodic acid.

3. Why is the delta S positive for this reaction?

The delta S for this reaction is positive because there is an increase in the number of molecules from the reactants (2) to the products (4). This increase in the number of molecules leads to a greater amount of disorder or randomness in the system.

4. What is the significance of N2O4 from NO2 in terms of delta S?

The reaction between nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and dinitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) is an example of an equilibrium reaction. At low temperatures, N2O4 is the favored product, while at high temperatures, NO2 is favored. This change in favorability is reflected in the delta S values, with N2O4 having a lower delta S than NO2 at low temperatures and the opposite at high temperatures.

5. Can the value of delta S be negative?

Yes, delta S can be negative. This would indicate that there is a decrease in disorder or randomness in the system. This can occur in processes such as dissolving a solute in a solvent or a gas condensing into a liquid, where the molecules become more structured and ordered.