Building a Mod60 Counter with Mod10 and Mod6

In summary, The goal is to make a mod 60 counter using mod10 and mod6, where both have a clk input. The mod10 counter will count and produce a cout which will carry to the mod6 counter. The mod10 counter will be 0 while the mod6 counter is 1 (10 in decimal), and this will continue up to 59. The issue is how to connect the two counters together and for the clk parameter, it would seem that the mod6 counter should be clocked by the overflow of the mod10 counter.
david90
my goal is to make a mod 60 counter using mod10 and mod6. Both counters have a clk input.

Mod10 will count and will produce a cout which will carry to mod6. At this moment, mod10 will be 0 while mod6 is 1 which is 10. This will continue to 59.

I need serious help on how to connect them together. For the clk parameter, what should I enter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by david90
For the clk parameter, what should I enter?

In the testbench? I don't quite understand...

It would seem the mod 6 counter should be clocked by the overflow of the mod 10 counter.

- Warren

1. What is a Mod60 Counter?

A Mod60 Counter is a type of digital counter that can count up to 60 before resetting back to 0. It is commonly used in timekeeping and clock applications.

2. How does a Mod60 Counter work?

A Mod60 Counter uses a combination of Mod10 and Mod6 counters to keep track of the units and tens place, respectively. The units place counts from 0 to 9 before triggering the Mod10 counter to add 1 to the tens place. The tens place counts from 0 to 5 before resetting back to 0 and triggering the Mod10 counter to add 1 to the hundreds place, if applicable.

3. What materials are needed to build a Mod60 Counter?

To build a Mod60 Counter, you will need a breadboard, digital logic chips (such as 74LS90 and 74LS93), resistors, LEDs, and wires. You will also need a power supply and a clock signal to drive the counter.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Mod60 Counter?

One limitation of using a Mod60 Counter is that it can only count up to 60 before resetting. This means it is not suitable for applications that require counting beyond 60, such as in industrial settings where large numbers need to be tracked.

5. Can a Mod60 Counter be used for other purposes besides timekeeping?

Yes, a Mod60 Counter can be used for other purposes such as counting the number of cycles in a repeating pattern or tracking the number of events occurring in a specific time period. It can also be used in combination with other counters for more complex counting applications.