Conservative vector field, potential function

In summary, we discuss finding the Jacobian and determining if a vector field is conservative in a finite region. We also consider finding the potential function, using examples and integrating the work done by the force as a particle is moved to an arbitrary location. The path taken is arbitrary if the force is conservative. We conclude that c1(y,z) = xy and further calculations are needed to confirm this.
jacquelinem_00

Homework Statement

A vector field is defined by F(x) = (y+z, x+y, x+z).
Find the Jacobian and determine if the field is conservative in a finite region. If it is conservative, find the potential function.

Homework Equations

F = delta p AKA
F = (upsidedown triangle) p

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Jacobian and determined that the field is conservative in a finite region. My problem is finding the potential function. So far I got:

dp ---> x(y+z) + C(y,z)
dx

dp ---> 1/2y (2x + y) + C(x,z)
dx

dp ---> 1/2z (2x + z) + C(x,y)
dx

I'm not sure on finding the potential function. From examples I've seen Icn set C(x,z) and C(x,y) to both equal zero, and then make C(y,z) a constant (using only y and z) to make dp/dx equal the other ones. But do they have to be exactly equal to each other? I'm wondering if anyone would give me some help with finding this potential function, please. Any help is greatly appreciated! :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it seems like one way to do it would be to pick a point to set as zero, and then integrate the work done by the force as a particle is moved to an arbitrary location. If the force is conservative, the path taken is arbitrary.

Your first step is good. So p=x(y+z)+C(y,z). Now set dp/dy=x+y. What can you conclude about dC(y,z)/dy?

Hi there guys! Sorry I didn't respond and thank you in a while; I went on a bit of a vacation!

So thank you Dick, for the hint. I think I got it, but I want to double check with you when what I've done... Here goes.

p(x,y,z) = x(y+z) + c1(y,z) = xy + 1/2y^2 + c2(x,z) = xz + 1/2z^2 + c3(x,y)

p = x(y+z) + c1(y,z)

dp/dy = x + y

(x + y) = y + c1(y,z)

So therefore c1(y,z) = x.

But I'm unsure if I can do this because I thought c1(y,z) had to be a function with only y and z, no x. I'll double check some things, but in the mean time, give it some thought please!

Thank you! :D :D :D

Wait.

I had meant that c1(y,z) = xy.

What should I do to confirm this?

You aren't thinking very clearly here. p=x(y+z)+C(y,z). So dp/dx=y+z. Now I want dp/dy=x+y. From the above I compute dp/dy=x+dC(y,z)/dy. What must dC(y,z)/dy be??

What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field where the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken. This means that the work done by the vector field is only dependent on the endpoints and not the path itself.

What is a potential function?

A potential function is a scalar function associated with a conservative vector field. It is used to describe the potential energy of a particle in the vector field and can be used to calculate the work done by the vector field along a path.

What are the conditions for a vector field to be conservative?

For a vector field to be conservative, it must have a continuous set of partial derivatives and the partial derivatives must be equal. This is known as the gradient condition and is necessary for the existence of a potential function.

How is a potential function related to a conservative vector field?

A potential function is associated with a conservative vector field and is used to describe the potential energy of a particle in the vector field. The gradient of the potential function is equal to the vector field, and the potential function can be used to calculate the work done by the vector field.

What is the significance of conservative vector fields and potential functions in physics?

Conservative vector fields and potential functions are important in physics as they describe the behavior of physical systems, such as the movement of particles under the influence of forces. They allow for the calculation of work done by a force and the determination of stable equilibrium points in a system.