Exploring the Topology of a Two-Dimensional Torus and a Rolled Cylinder

In summary, the space resulting from the identification (x,y) ~ (x+2piR, y+2piR) is a cylinder rolled up along the diagonal. This is different from the space resulting from (x,y) ~ (x+2piR, y) and (x,y) ~ (x, y+2piR), which is a two-dimensional torus (a donut). Switching to coordinates such as x' = (x + y)/sqrt(2) and y' = (x - y)/sqrt(2) results in a cylinder rolled around the y' axis.
ehrenfest
What is the space resulting from the identification (x,y) ~ (x+2piR, y+2piR)? How is it different from the space resulting from
(x,y) ~ (x+2piR, y)
(x,y) ~ (x, y+2piR), which is a two-dimensional torus (a donut)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a cylinder, rolled up along the diagonal.

What diagonal?

I'd say the diagonal indicated on the attachment (up to symmetry :tongue:)

Attachments

• diagonal.jpg
    diagonal.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Sorry, I don't see any attachment. Was that just a joke?

No, I forgot to click upload. Apparently you posted while I added it.

(BTW: Post [itex]13^2[/itex] for me)

[itex]13^2[/itex]

Why would you ask me to post that?

He meant he hit post #169, he did not want you to post anything.

Take (x,y) to (x+a,y+a) and you move up parallel to the diagonal between the x and the y axis. if you identify after a = 2Pi then you get a cylinder rolled along that diagonal.

ehrenfest, what happens if you switch to coordinates x' = (x + y)/sqrt(2) and y' = (x - y)/sqrt(2)?

I see why it is different than the other identification! The R has to be the same for both x and y.

If you switch to light-cone coordinates, then it is a cylinder rolled around the y' axis, right?

1. What is an identification question?

An identification question is a type of question that seeks to identify a specific person, object, or concept. It typically requires the respondent to provide a name, label, or description of the thing being identified.

2. How is an identification question different from other types of questions?

An identification question is different from other types of questions because it specifically asks for a name or label, rather than seeking information or opinions. It is also usually more objective and factual, rather than open-ended or subjective.

3. What are some common examples of identification questions?

Some common examples of identification questions include "What is your name?", "What is the capital of France?", and "Can you identify this plant?". These questions all require a specific name or label as the answer.

4. When might an identification question be useful?

An identification question can be useful in a variety of situations, such as when trying to verify someone's identity, when needing to label or categorize something, or when conducting research or surveys that require specific details.

5. How can I formulate an effective identification question?

To formulate an effective identification question, be clear and specific about what you are asking for and make sure it is relevant to the topic or purpose of your inquiry. Use simple and direct language, and avoid any ambiguity or bias.