Finite Well: Measuring Bound Particles w/ E > 0?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, we discussed the possibility of measuring a finite well bound particle with E > 0. It is possible to measure the particle with E > 0 if it is found outside the well, but this would change the eigenstate to a position eigenstate. This means that the measurement process has knocked the particle out of the well.
ehrenfest
If you constructed a wavepacket for the finite well representing a bound particle i.e. one with <E> < 0, would you ever measure it with E > 0?

The finite well we are discussing has a potential 0 except between -a and a where it is -V_0.

I would say yes because there is nonzero probability that the particle could be found outside the well i.e. |psi(x)|^2 is nonzero for x > |a|. But I am not sure whether that implies that the energy is greater than 0 as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be wrong. If you have an energy eigenstate and you measure the energy, you get the same energy. If you measure the position then you change the eigenstate to a position eigenstate. And yes, then you can measure the energy and get E>0. In this case the measurement process has knocked the particle out of the well.

1. What is a finite well?

A finite well is a potential energy barrier that exists in a finite region of space. It is often used to approximate the behavior of bound particles, such as electrons, in a physical system.

2. How is a finite well created?

A finite well can be created by placing a potential energy barrier, such as a thin layer of material, in a confined region of space. This barrier can be used to trap particles within the well and study their behavior.

3. What is the significance of measuring bound particles with E > 0?

Measuring bound particles with E > 0 allows scientists to study the behavior of particles that are not confined to a potential well. This can provide insights into the properties and interactions of particles in different energy states.

4. How is E > 0 measured in a finite well?

E > 0 can be measured in a finite well by using various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy or electron tunneling. These methods allow scientists to measure the energy levels and properties of particles within the well.

5. What are some applications of studying finite wells?

Studying finite wells has applications in various fields such as materials science, quantum mechanics, and semiconductor technology. It can help in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials and developing new technologies based on quantum effects.