Solving Linear Equations: 6th Q, System of 3, Choosing Options, Wrong Answer

In summary: For #8, I think it's asking for the inverse of a matrix. If you have an equation like A-1=B, then the inverse would be B-1. If you don't know the inverse, then you can't solve for it.Hope that helps!In summary, for the sixth question, I got:cos a=-3/8cos b=-5/4sin 2a=7/8sin b=5/4Whenever I use the answer I got, it says it's incorrect, but every time I do it I get that answer.I ended
ThomasHW

Homework Statement

http://tunerspec.ca/school/math.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For the sixth question, I got:
cos a = [tex]\frac{-3}{8}[/tex]
cos b = [tex]\frac{-5}{4}[/tex]
sin 2a = [tex]\frac{7}{8}[/tex]

Whenever I use the answer I got, it says it's incorrect, but every time I do it I get that answer.

http://tunerspec.ca/school/math1.jpg

I ended up with:

a = [tex]\frac{-1}{5}[/tex]
b = [tex]\frac{32}{15} - \frac{1}{3}d[/tex]
c = 0

I chose option C as it is the only one that made sense to me. I can choose more than one option though... anyone have any input? Maybe I'm not solving the system correctly?

http://tunerspec.ca/school/math2.jpg

I ended up with:

a = [tex]-3c + \frac{2}{7}d + \frac{46}{7}[/tex]
b = [tex]\frac{8}{7}d + \frac{2}{7}d[/tex]
d = [tex]\frac{13}{11}[/tex]

I chose option A and option D as being true... but got it wrong. Could someone possibly take a look please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 3/14... maybe you could show some work?

Edit: Nevermind, I get the same

Last edited:
6) is a very strange question. If I write "cos a" as x, "cos b" as y, and "sin 2a" as z, it is easy to see that x= -3/8, y= -5/4, z= 7/8 satisfy all 3 equations and are the only solution. But how can cos b= -5/4?? Also, if cos a= -3/8, then sin a must satisfy [itex]\sqrt{1- 9/64}= \sqrt{55/64}= sqrt{55}/8 or -sqrt{55}/8[/itex]. But then sin(2a) must be equal to 2sin(a)cos(a) and 7/8 is definitely not [itex]3\sqrt{55}/22[/itex]!

I have no idea why they put those trig functions in there! Frankly, I would be inclined to say that those equations, as given, have no solution!

7) Have you actually tried to solve those equations? There are 3 equations with 4 variables so at first glance you would think there would be one parameter in the solution. But the equations are not independent!

"Is determined uniquely" mean it has exactly one possible value.

6. Unfortunately, it must have a solution. I am completely stumped... anyone know? :confused:

7. What do you mean they aren't independent? What would the answer be?

Thanks for the help so far! :)

You don't know what "independent" or "dependent" equations means? Here the three equations are NOT independent (are dependent) because a combination of two of them gives the third- you don't really have "three" equations!

As for 6, since your solutions to the 3 equations are correct- even if they make no sense as trig functions- and it only asks for "cos(a)" go ahead and answer "-3/8". I might also make a notation to the teacher that "cos(b)= -5/4" makes no sense but you may not want to be that bold!

6. I tried answering -3/8 and it is wrong. We have an online hand-in thing so it tells you if the answer is correct or incorrect right away.

7. When you say they're dependent, are you talking about the first equations or the ones I've solved? I still don't understand what the answer is... to any of these. :tongue:

Bump!

Your answer for 6 looks right to me... I don't understand why it won't accept. For 7 and 8, looks like you made mistakes solving the equations... check your work.

Okay, I'll try re-doing 7 and 8. As for 6, I don't get it either. I'm going to have to wait to hear back from my professor about that one.

I'll post my results for 7 and 8 once I've re-done them.

Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

For #7, I think a set of linear equations is independant if you they cannot be created from each other with a sequence of row operations. Note how 3R1=R3 right? So that means you will get a zero row in RREF and end up with a matrix of rank 2 or less and the number of free variables will be at least 2.

I don't really have too much to add but I had to ask. Are you going to the U of Calgary? I see that your vector problem matches mine for my mechanics course (complete with problem number). :-p

Last edited:
Finalled solved #7. The answer ends up being A,B, and E.

Here's what I did...

I first subtracted 3R1 from R3 to make it all zero's, and then...

We have:[tex]
\begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;7 & 3 & 1 & 1 & 5 \;\\\;11 & 9 & 1 & 3 & 17\;\\\;0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex]\frac{R1}{7}
\begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;1 & \frac{3}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{5}{7} \;\\\;11 & 9 & 1 & 3 & 17\;\\\;0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex]R2 - 11\times R1
\begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;1 & \frac{3}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{5}{7} \;\\\;0 & \frac{30}{7} & \frac{-4}{7} & \frac{10}{7} & \frac{64}{7}\;\\\;0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex]R2\times\frac{7}{30}
\begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;1 & \frac{3}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{1}{7} & \frac{5}{7} \;\\\;0 & 1 & \frac{-2}{15} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{32}{15}\;\\\;0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex]R1 - \frac{3}{7}R2
\begin{array}{c}\ \\ \\ \end{array}\;\begin{vmatrix}\;1 & 0 & \frac{1}{5} & 0 & \frac{-1}{5} \;\\\;0 & 1 & \frac{-2}{15} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{32}{15}\;\\\;0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{vmatrix}
[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]a + \frac{1}{5}c = \frac{-1}{5}[/tex]

[tex]b - \frac{2}{15}c + \frac{1}{3}d = \frac{32}{15}[/tex]

Then I can solve the first equation for c and substitute it into the second equation, which satisfies Option E. Option A is satisfied by looking at the matrix. Option B is also satisfied.

dontdisturbmycircles - Yep. :smile: First year engineering, you?

First year engineering. =-)

Last edited:
What a small world!

Haha, I think you are in a different linear algebra lecture though since we have not been assigned anything yet.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Haha, I think you are in a different linear algebra lecture though since we have not been assigned anything yet.
Must be. Our assignment is due tomorrow.

1. How do I solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equals sign and perform the same operation on both sides to maintain balance. For example, if you have the equation 2x + 3 = 9, you would first subtract 3 from both sides to get 2x = 6, and then divide both sides by 2 to get x = 3.

2. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that can be solved simultaneously. The solution to a system of linear equations is the set of values that make all of the equations true. For example, a system of two equations in two variables would look like this: 2x + 3y = 10 and 4x - 2y = 6.

3. How do I solve a system of three linear equations?

To solve a system of three linear equations, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve one of the equations for one variable and then substitute that expression into the other equations. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variables.

4. How do I choose which method to use when solving a system of equations?

The method you choose to solve a system of equations depends on the specific equations and variables involved. In general, the substitution method is easier when one of the equations is already solved for a variable, while the elimination method is useful when the coefficients of one variable are opposites. It is always a good idea to try both methods and see which one leads to a simpler solution.

5. What should I do if I get the wrong answer when solving a linear equation or system?

If you get the wrong answer when solving a linear equation or system, first double-check your work to make sure you didn't make any errors. If you are confident in your steps, it is possible that the problem has no solution or your equations are inconsistent. In this case, you can graph the equations to see if they intersect or are parallel, which can help you determine the validity of your result.