Understanding Divergence: Solving the Mystery of Vector Functions | Jim L.

• Thread starter Jim L
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, the problem asks for the divergence of F(x,y,z) = i(f of x) + j(f of y)+k(f of (-2z)), where f is some differentiable function of a single variable. It is impossible to find a unique solution for the point c,c, -c/2 that would allow for its insertion. The values c,c,-c/2 are automatically inserted into the resulting expression for Div F, which is why the equation is solved for these values.
Jim L
Been working my way thru H.M. Schey-been out of college for 50 yrs.

This problem has me stumped. F (of x,y,z)= i (f of x) + j (f of y)+k f (-2z).

F is a vector function, and i,j,k are unit vectors for x,y,z axis.

The problem is to find Div F., and then show it is 0 for the point c,c, -c/2.

Cannot for the life of me see how one can get a unique solution that would allow one to insert the point c,c, -c/2, which are for x,y,z.

What am I missing, please and thanks. Jim L.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming it's the same f is each case,

one ends up with f'(c) + f'(c) - 2f'(c) = 0, if in last term df(-2z)/dz = -2 f'(-2z), and f'(-c) would have to equal f'(c).

Does the problem state c, c, c/2 or c, c, -c/2 or is f' an even function.

Last edited:
Sorry, the value IS -c/2. The way I see it:

f of x can be anything, such as x^2 +3y.

f of y can be anything , such as 4y-2x

f of(-2z) can be anything , such as 4z+2y

Also, cannot see how df(-2z)dz= -2 f'(-2z), assuming f' is the partial of -2z wrt z. Or is df mean partial der? Either way, does not seem correct.

The values c,c,-c/2 are to be inserted in the resulting expression for Div F, as I see it.

Obviously I am still missing something. Thanks, Jim.

Last edited:
The way the problem is written

F (of x,y,z)= i (f of x) + j (f of y)+k f (-2z).

I take to mean F (x,y,z) = i f(x) + j f(y) + k f(-2z).

True that [tex]\nabla\,\cdot{F}\,=\,\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x}}+\frac{\partial{f(y)}}{\partial{y}}+\frac{\partial{f(-2z)}}{\partial{z}}[/tex],

but since f(x), f(y), f(-2z) are the same function in one variable the partial derivative is just the standard derivative in one variable, i.e.

[tex]\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{d f(x)}{dx}[/tex]

Last edited:
Jim L said:
Sorry, the value IS -c/2. The way I see it:

f of x can be anything, such as x^2 +3y.

f of y can be anything , such as 4y-2x

f of(-2z) can be anything , such as 4z+2y
No! You do NOT use the same symbol, f, to mean different things in the same formula. It also does not make sense to write "f(x)" and then give a formula that involves both x and y.

Also, cannot see how df(-2z)dz= -2 f'(-2z), assuming f' is the partial of -2z wrt z. Or is df mean partial der? Either way, does not seem correct.

The values c,c,-c/2 are to be inserted in the resulting expression for Div F, as I see it.

Obviously I am still missing something. Thanks, Jim.
The original problem was :F(x,y,z)= i (f(x)) + j (f(y))+ kf (-2z) where f is some differentiable function of a single variable. The divergence would be, using the chain rule, div F= f'(x) + f'(y)-2f'(-2z). evaluating that at (c, c, -c/2) would give div F= f'(c)i+ f'(c)- 2f'(-2(-c/2)= 2f'(c)- 2f'(c)= 0.

I've got it. I was equating the authors F sub x, which can contain x,y,z and is the multiplier of the unit vector i, with f of x.
Still cannot see how the partial der. of -2Z wrt z can be anything but -2. How the chain rule applies and generates a multiplier of 2evades me. But it has been a long time. Sorry and many thanks. jim.

Last edited:

1. What is divergence?

Divergence refers to the measure of how much a vector field is spreading or contracting at a given point. It is a concept in vector calculus and is represented by a mathematical operator called the divergence operator (∇⋅).

2. How is divergence calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the gradient operator (∇) at a specific point. Mathematically, it can be represented as ∇⋅F = ∂Fx/∂x + ∂Fy/∂y + ∂Fz/∂z, where F is the vector field.

3. What is the physical interpretation of divergence?

The physical interpretation of divergence is related to the flow of a vector field. A positive divergence indicates that the vector field is spreading outwards from a point, while a negative divergence indicates that the vector field is contracting towards a point. A zero divergence at a point means that there is no net flow of the vector field at that point.

4. How is divergence used in real-life applications?

Divergence has various applications in science and engineering. It is used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids, in electromagnetism to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and in meteorology to analyze weather patterns. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of fluid and smoke movements.

5. What is the relationship between divergence and curl?

There is a fundamental relationship between divergence and curl, known as the divergence theorem. It states that the surface integral of a vector field's divergence over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. This theorem is used to convert a difficult surface integral into a simpler volume integral, making calculations easier. Additionally, a vector field with a non-zero divergence also has a non-zero curl, and vice versa.