To do an honours program or not?

In summary, this person is undecided about whether or not to continue their honours degree, and is unsure of how much value it will have if they do. They are also doing a co-op, which they feel will help them make a good decision.
mace2
Hi all, I just finished the first semester of my second year. I'm doing a physics & astronomy combined degree (and probably a math minor), and I'm trying to decide if I should enter the honours program or not.

My hesitation is this: to be/stay in the honours program, I have to take 5 courses/semester until I graduate. For instance, next semester I have 5 courses and 4 labs. I think this is manageable because it's still lower level stuff, but I'm worried it will be too hard taking 5 courses in upper level.

I'm not sure if I want to go to grad school or not, but I'd like to keep my options open. So the thing is, with an honours degree I'd probably have a lower GPA than just a major... but I don't know what the tipping point is such that the lower GPA honours degree will be worth more than a high GPA normal degree?

If it matters, I am also doing co-op.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: I'll mention this semester I did 4 courses, and 2.5 labs (hard to explain), and that was not too intensive. But again this stuff I'm sure is much less work than upper level courses/labs...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
honours are nice but publication is nicer

You seem to be doing all the right things, Co-ops, keeping a reasonable work load, double major with minor. Now I will tell you this from an engineering perspective. I know a lot of kids that did an honors program that basically became a project that dragged on for four years and everyone ended up dreading towards the end. I never joined, I just got good grades and worked (and that seems what you are doing too). Look at what you are going to get out of this program vs. how much work it will take. Ignore the title of having 'honors course' next to your transcript. If you can honestly say its worth the time and effort, then go for it. But DONT take it just because it will say 'honors' on your resume.

Cyrus said:
You seem to be doing all the right things, Co-ops, keeping a reasonable work load, double major with minor. Now I will tell you this from an engineering perspective. I know a lot of kids that did an honors program that basically became a project that dragged on for four years and everyone ended up dreading towards the end. I never joined, I just got good grades and worked (and that seems what you are doing too). Look at what you are going to get out of this program vs. how much work it will take. Ignore the title of having 'honors course' next to your transcript. If you can honestly say its worth the time and effort, then go for it. But DONT take it just because it will say 'honors' on your resume.

That makes a lot of sense. How do I know how much I'm going to get out of it though? My main reason for doing it is to hopefully improve my chances of attending grad school if I decide to apply. Basically I'd like to do my best to keep my options open. It's hard making decisions when I feel like I don't have all the info!

Bump for more input please.

What is an honours program?

An honours program is an additional year of study undertaken after completing a bachelor's degree. It is typically more research-intensive and allows students to further specialize in their field of study.

What are the benefits of doing an honours program?

There are several benefits to doing an honours program, including the opportunity to develop research skills, enhance critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and improve chances of admission to graduate school. It also allows for deeper understanding and knowledge in a specific area of study.

Is an honours program necessary for graduate school?

It depends on the program and the university. Some graduate programs may require or prefer applicants who have completed an honours program, while others may not have this requirement. It is best to research the specific requirements of the graduate programs you are interested in.

What are the differences between an honours program and a regular bachelor's degree?

An honours program typically involves more independent research and a higher level of academic rigor. It may also have a smaller class size and more personalized instruction. Additionally, completing an honours program often results in a higher level of distinction on the final degree.

What should I consider before deciding to do an honours program?

Before deciding to do an honours program, you should consider your academic strengths and interests, the requirements and expectations of the program, and the potential benefits for your future academic and career goals. You should also take into account the time and financial commitments involved in completing an additional year of study.